Olinda


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Olinda
January 28th 2008
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately, we didn't have much time for Olinda, but I'm glad we made the effort to get there and walk around because it's such a pretty place!

When we got back to Recife, from Fernando do Noronha, we immediately bought our bus ticket to Fortaleza (another 12-hour ride), as time is quickly running out! Luckily it was a night bus which meant that we had all of Sunday to ourselves. Olinda is not far from Recife, took us about half an hour, and the journey was a smooth one... we took the metro then a bus!

It was a very hot day that day, but upon arriving we were immediately approached by a tour guide who offered to show us the main attractions. He was only 15 years old, but really knew his stuff. Olinda is overflowing with well-preserved colonial architecture and, not to our surprise, boasted a church at every corner! However, what will always remain impressed in my memory are its vibrantly-coloured houses which make the place glow with liveliness, and the incredible backdrop of green abundant vegetation and a sparkling blue ocean. On top of that, the city was busy preparing for Carnival, which added to the atmosphere. Every single person we talked to asked us where we are going to be during carnival and everyone made it a point to let us know that Carnival in Olinda is Brazil's best!!! Oh well... next time maybe!

We ended the tour eating delicious refreshing acai, which I know from know I'm going to miss terribly once back in Malta!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Igreja NS do CarmoIgreja NS do Carmo
Igreja NS do Carmo

...from above
Igreja NS Misericórdia Igreja NS Misericórdia
Igreja NS Misericórdia

I love the way some churches in Olinda have only one bell tower!
Olinda's rooftopsOlinda's rooftops
Olinda's rooftops

... and Recife in the background


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb