Travel Update


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
October 26th 2005
Published: October 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Thurs. 20th. Paraty.
We would recommend the Poussade Pouso Paraty and, if you're old like us, they even carry your back packs to the bus depot. Avery laid back type of place - where they have replaced white van man with horse and cart. On the way to Sao Paulo the scenery was spectacularly awesome, probably the best we have seen anywhere on all our travels. To top it all, on the way out to Morretes, we saw daffodils in bloom and the hotels putting their Santas!
Sat.
Another recommended hotel is Poussada Cidreira. We are sitting on our balcony, panoramic view of the mountains and being deafened by wild canaries... - oh, and a bottle of good red on the table! Does it get any better than this?
We were very fortunate to meet M. Piere Calvier, a very agreeable frenchman, resident in Brazil. After living here for five years, he now dreams in Portuguese, and has his nightmares in French! He came "tubing" with us down a lazy river, but I'm suing for misrepresentation because it was wild, with boulders and waterfells. May be not that bad but I couldn't understand Jim and Pierre enjoying it so much. Pierre then took us on a tour of the area, which was so beautiful, and we stopped at the roadside to sample homemade sugar cane juice with lemon. Very nice and not as sweet as you would think. The old lady working the jiuceing machine (-not as we know it - more like a finger crunching mangle!) was a character. She insisted we went inside to see pictures of Queen Victoria and Kaiser Wilhelm, and when we took her digital photograph, she was amazed to see how quick the result was. Magic!
To finish off with we visited Antinina, on the bay of Paranagua, which was brilliant. - Merci beaucoup, Pierre for a lovely day, and we hope you find your house here very soon.
The local dish is called Barriado, a bit like a stew , and it comes with bananas and oranges, which left us stumped. The local liqueur is made from bananas,... and that left us tipsy!
The Education system is first class. Peta and John, sit down before reading this. The teachers work from 8 till 5 with much less holidays tha us. The good news for Jamie, Nick and Rebecka is that the children only attend morning OR afternoon.
Mon.
Caught the tourist train back to Curitiba. Three hours of going up hill and down dale in the rain forest. The clouds obscured the far vista but it was still sensational. Coming down into civilisation, it was stange to see Amyryllis and Hydrangeas growing wild, and then, would you believe, an ostrich farm.
Wed.
We had an 11 hour bus journey from Curitibe to Foz do Iguacu, and before you say "Silly old fools!', it wasn't too bad. Plenty of leg room and reclining seats, a water fridge, a loo and wall to wall rolling countryside. We are now sitting by our hotel pool waiting for it to rain. It wsa 30 deg. earlier but now the clouds have come. As I write it has gone black and the rain is coming down like stair rods... 10 mins. later, the sun is back, so we've better things to do! Ciao!


Advertisement



1st November 2005

go girl go
For two oldies we think its fantastic, sounds like you won't want to come home, the places sound fantastic, keep on with your reports.no 14.
5th January 2006

Hotel in Iguazu
Hi, what was the name of your hotel in Iguazu? and would you recommend it?

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb