Us Going South.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 1st 2005
Published: November 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Thurs 27th.
Caught the local bus from outside the hotel and went to Iguacu Falls. It cost 50 pence for a 1 hour ride. Weather today is 35 deg. with a breeze, which is perfect. Our first sight of the falls left us speechless, but then as you walk further it gets better. Words can´t describe it. So just pack your bags and come and see for yourselves. Makes Niagara look like a dripping tap! Even the ecological presentation of the tourist areas, the Brazilean engineering authorities have got it so right! We saw lots of gorgeous Quaties rooting around and the butterflies were huge, with such beautiful colours!

Not much to do after dinner so we took our wine to the patio area. To prove to you how accomodating Brazilean people are they let their birds roost in the hanging baskets (not as nice as yours, Kath!). When the mum´s had enough, she goes 3 baskets down for some P & Q.

Fri.
Torrential rain from 9:00 last night till 11:00 this morning. Thunder to beat any weév heard before. Visited the Itaipo Damn and again were very impressed by the Brazilean way of doing things. The presentation for the tourists is excellent. Best free trip you will ever have - from start to finish, about 3 hours. Just don´t look at the caged animals - not a happy sight.

Sat.
Crossed over into Argentina and easily found a nice hotel, with a decent size pool. Off-loaded the bags and went to catch a bus to the Argentinian side of the Iguacu falls, but they were closed due to the storm on Friday. Went back to the pool and soaked up the sun.

Sun.
Finally got to the falls and what a spectacular sight it was, but the boat ride up Devil´s Throat was closed. The Brazilean vista was the best, but on the Argentinian side you are so close to the falls it takes your breath away. We were on walk-ways just inches above the water falls, looking over at remnants of walk-ways that had been washed away - not recently mind, but it makes you think. The day got even better when we saw a toucan and a monkey in the wild - brilliant visit!
That was the end of the good times - don´t ever catch a bus from Iguacu to Buenos Aires, even with "Super Cama" seats. We were told that food and drink were included in the fare and so we set off at 4:00 p.m. like innocents abroad. At 11:00 p.m. we were given a rubbish meal and then they came round with wine, whiskey and champagne, so had to have the lot to take the taste away! We finally arrived at Buenos Aires at 10:00 a.m., after not having been allowed off the bus once! Horrendous!
By Midday we´d booked into our hotel and taken to the streets. What a beautiful city. The buildings have an air of gentle decay about them. The best of all that Paris and Rome can offer. You turn the corner of an ordinary street an there is an amazing monument, or a scultured frieze adorning a building - we´ve now got sore necks!
Took a cab to see Eva Peron´s mausoleum and only just managed to get into the cemetry because they close it at 6:00. Some of the tombs were huge but hers was a bit non-descript. We walked around a bit - lots of cats, Sarah - and it wasn´t too spooky until you look closer and could see some coffins on show and stairs going down into the cellars! Wouldn´t want to be there after dark.
If you are within 100 miles of B.A. go for a meal at "Grants". The place opens at 8:00 p.m. and is huge. It´s a buffet type restaurant but it´s the best food we´ve tasted and tons of it. The chef must have the the biggest barbecue in the world, and cooks the meat to order. There is also as much Sushi etc, as you wish. The Amaricans by us went for desert about 5 times!

Tues.
Out doing the sights again. Just spectacular. Police on every corner, but the city feels safe. We´re going to brave the 20 - lane boulevard again and go to Grants. Bye for now and thanks for your e-mails.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb