Snorkelling in Bonito & Iguasu Falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
July 24th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally arrived in Bonito- yet another tiny town without much nightlife, meh, nevermind! Booked to go snorkelling down the Rio de Prata on Thursday- was the most amazing snorkelling in the river- world famous. We floated in the pool at the top of the river watching the fish in the clearest water ever...then we floated downstream and observed hundreds more fish- totally reversed my opinion of snorkelling from the traumas of rough, cold sea currents off the Galapagos with ill fitting masks! Tried diving down to a hot spring in the middle of the lower part of the river too- yet the concept was totally beyond my logic! Lazed around that afternoon after lunch back at the centre in the afternoon sun, muy bueno!!

Friday we headed out to the local "beach" although being nowhere near the sea, it was just a beautiful stretch of the river which people could swim in and sunbathe by- cold water though without the wetsuits of the previous day!

Bus followed by nightbus followed by bus to reach our next destination- Iguasu Falls. Up in a helicopter over the falls that morning- not the sunniest day though, but still was cool to go in a helicopter! :D We then entered the national park on the Brazilian side from which we could get incredible panoramic views of the falls- the weather cleared up that afternoon, and the views were incredible! Then we walked out between the falls on walkways, where we got absolutely drenched by the spray! Sushi again that evening- I played it safe with a cooked chicken stir fry, which wasn't bad! So many caiparinhas that evening it was untrue- off to "Oh No" club- 20 reals to get in- equivalent of £6- outrage!!! In my wonderful Spanish (in a Portuguese speaking country) I argued that this was outrageous- because there were so many of us we should get a discount- it worked in Peru and Ecuador!!! I didnt get far, nevermind!! Many caiparinhas and a scissor sisters-esque act on stage we left the club hammered, and decided on a south american rat burger- hmmmm! Perhaps not the most wise choice, but my stomach has survived everything I've thrown at it thus far!

Hangover from HELL on sunday- evil evil alcohol! We were marched off to Paraguay though for the day to go shopping- it was soooo much cheaper for electrical goods, sunglasses, designer watches and perfumes- and they were real- just a cheaaap country. Felt like sh*t for all of the 2 hrs we were there- back to the hotel in Brazil and Sarah & I collapsed into bed, only waking up to order a super-large pizza from roomservice- mmmmm, cheeese!

Monday we headed out to the Argentinian side of the Iguasu Falls- a massive national park-We walked out over the top of the waterfall up the "Devils Throat" where thousands of gallons of water thundered over the edge- totally mindblowing, was incredible. Caught an eco-boat tour down the river, bit crappy, but we had the motorboat ride into the waterfall that afternoon- and it was amaazzzzinnnggg!! over the rapids and right under some of the falls- incl San Rafael falls, which were hauge. Of course the side of the boat I'd sat on was the one which got drenched the most- typicallll!

That evening we met up with another GAP group and went to a local guides house for a BBQ for our tour leaders bday- the meat we bought was AMAAAAZING- argentinian beef, i have never tasted meat so tasty! mmmmmmm! Lots more caiparinhas- mmmmmmmmmmm!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Iguasu FallsIguasu Falls
Iguasu Falls

from the helicopter
Iguasu Falls 5Iguasu Falls 5
Iguasu Falls 5

rainbow over the rapids
Igausu FallsIgausu Falls
Igausu Falls

into the falls we go
Iguasu Falls 6Iguasu Falls 6
Iguasu Falls 6

about to get drenched!


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb