Lesson from week 4..... less talking, more bird watching


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pantanal
February 1st 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hola!

Sad as it is, the first thing that Sarah and I did when we got into Campo Grande after our 5 hour dirt road return from the Pantanal was blog about it. Sad, but true.

Watching the sun set into the silver lined clouds I came to the realization that in the short few days that I have spent in this foreign land, I have conquered fears and explored wonders that have left me knowing that if I had to go home tomorrow I would be satisfied just as well. The 300 or so mosquito bites that span the tip of my toes to just behind my right ear do not even faze the delightful memories of the one of a kind Brazillian Pantanal. A mysterious wet land area of Southern Brazil is home to Tucans, McCaws, Caymens, and thousands of other birds mammals and reptiles!!! The sight of a wild emu became normal as did the armadillos which inhabited the road. As we stayed on a 17500 hectare farm.... over the 4 days of our stay that encroaching waters that inhabited the ponds and ditches and streams near the road began to full the roads and we had to wade through knee deep water on the way out.

Since last entry, Sarah and I have spent 2 days on the Brazillian side of the Iguazu Falls. I cant wait to share pictures, though pictures hardley do these falls justice, but non the less, I cant wait.
From the falls we travelled overnight to Campo Grande where we were met by our tour guides for the Pantanal and we were shuttled into the wetlands of Brazil. We drove for about 4 hours and then, once we hit red dirt road, we were shuttled into a truck and off we went into our adventure of a life time. We drove for about half an hour over bridges that looked like they were going to cave at any second, sighting tucans and deer and birds galore. We finally arrived at our new home, Santa Clara, where we were welcomed as family into the life of the real world jungle book!

Over the course of our stay we were fed wonderfully, all by food raised on the farm! Each day we had events that started at 7am and ended around 9. We went by boat through caymen (alligator) and peranah infested waters to watch storks and herrons and mccawas and tucans grace their natural habitat amongst the jungle. We walked through the heart of the forest, striaight through the waters that were chest deep to reach the howler monkies that we could hear from the other side. Our guide, real life moaglie lead us through with machete in hand, cutting the branches in search of water... this would lead us to the monkies. Coming from the girl whos stomach clenched when I had to stand on the rotating floor of the CN tower, I was exhilerated following Tom our guide through the neck deep waters again while he search with a stick in front of us to make sure there wernt any caymens below.

We rode horses through the marsh, watched the grace of the monkies in the trees, and were blessed with the hospitality of the people and the animals alike.

Now that that chapter has closed, we are off to Rio. Another adventure in iteslf.

I cant wait to explore again! This will be a different kind of exploring, but exporing regardless!
Love life,
Mish

Advertisement



2nd February 2010

lindo!
What a beautiful experience! Muito obrigada for sharing this. I can't wait to learn your impressions of Rio. With all the urban problems that it has, it is an incredibly beautiful and lively city. Make sure you get some safety tips from the locals :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb