The Pantanal


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pantanal
January 11th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The house petThe house petThe house pet

Me with the rat who thinks its a dog..kinda.
The Pantanal in Brazil was quite amazing and beautiful. We got on an overnight bus from Sao Paulo at about 7pm and took a 13 hour bus ride from there to a small town where we were met by one of the guides. We were then driven by bus and later by truck on a dirt road into the wetalnds were we stayed at a lodge built high up on stilts for when the water comes in. We arrived just before the dry season so the water was low, and the mosquitos were fewer in number. I cant ímagine there being more mosquitos than there were, but apparently during the rainy season there are many more.

On the first day we went treking throuh the jungle. .....this keyboard dosent work well so apologies for no punctuation and such.... The jugle was less dense than rain forest but still very beautiful It reminded me more of what Africa looks like than anything. During the treck we saw everything from Tucans to Howler Monkeys to Camens ...small crocodile looking things... and even the prints from a Jaguar. Near the end it began to pour rain and I thought that the landscape was even more stricking through the sheets of rain then dry.

The people we were with were all very interesting. Neary all of them were from the UK where the average vacation time given employees by companys is about 5 weeks form what everybody told me. ...I think I should move there... In our room we were with 2 people from Ireland, but also there were many people from London as well as Iceland, Denmark, Israel, and Sweeden.

The second day we went out we went on a small boat up the river that ran by the lodge to view wild life and swim in the river, although only me and a retired gentleman from Sweeden decided to brave the Pirhanas and Camens. But Í was not eaten and it was a great time. Later that day we went on horseback to explore the area. For the first time the guide let me gallop the horse which I must say is much better than just trotting along. In the middle of the ride we stopped at a 80 foot tower and climbed to the top where you could see for miles out. It was an amzing view of the Pantanal.

The final day we went fishing for Pirhanas. Afterword we ate them and I must say fresh Pirhana is much líke fresh trout.

All in all the Pantanal was an amazing place and I am very glad we got to see some of the wildness of Brazil.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb