Georgia on My Mind


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Minas Gerais
September 21st 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

LaundromatLaundromatLaundromat

Here is our first stop for the day. Clean, quick and cheap. That's our kind of place.
Monday
The plans for the day were to return to Minas for some sun and another massage. Jackie wanted to have her "maos e pes" done too. That's fingernails and toenails, or a manicure to you. Plus, it was time for a trip to the Laundromat.

So, we walked a couple of blocks to a nearby laudromat and washed all of our dirty clothes in 90 minutes. It cost $17BRL or about $9US. Call me cheap. But with the savings I can pay for a full massage every day for the remainder of our trip.

Later in the morning we took a taxi to Minas again. For the first day since we have been here it was cloudy. The spa opened at 3:30pm so we had a couple of hours to wait. In the meantime we went to the office to get tickets for a concert on Tuesday evening that is sponsored by the tennis club. The attendant knew not one word of English and I thought we would not be successful unless I could reach Maria quickly on the phone to discuss with her. Unfortunately, Maria was busy and I had to go it alone with my Portuguese. And I was successful! Each day my language improves and I'm getting back into having longer conversations. Jackie is impressed. She still has a good ear for the language but hasn't really tried to talk to anyone.

After getting the tickets I noticed that the sky was getting more ominous. So, we decided to skip the manicure and massage and leave early and return to the hotel for the afternoon. We had plans for a romantic dinner at the Restaurant Vecchio Sogno. This is the most upscale restaurant that we know in Belo. There was a pianist there that always remembered us before by playing “Georgia” whenever we entered. Unfortunately, he is no longer there. We did get the new guy to play for us. Maybe we’ll start a new tradition with this pianist.

So, that’s another quiet (spelled correctly this time Patty) day in the life of Tom and Jackie.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LaundromatLaundromat
Laundromat

Time to read another true crime book. She knows every way to kill your lover. Watch out Tom!
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

Date night for the Dorsey's. This was a very nice evening.
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

This is the award wall. They win best restaurant almost every year.
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

Jackie says to tell everyone that she is not yet allowed to use makeup. So, excuse her for this.
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

The wine cellar.
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

This restaurant is a member of the club of "Pratos da Boa Lembranca." This means that if you order a special dish, you get a hand painted "Plate of Good Memories." This was my dish...a seafood ravioli.
Restaurant Vecchio SognoRestaurant Vecchio Sogno
Restaurant Vecchio Sogno

After our wonderful dinner we asked to meet the chef. He came out to greet us. He conducts a school for the culinary arts at the restaurant at times. A group of students were seated at the next table from us.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb