Lonely Planet off my christmas card list!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Maranhão » São Luis
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

bus station lookalikebus station lookalikebus station lookalike

this was one of the better ones
so , what´s that you say lonely planet - 26 hours on a bus at a cost of R$190....hmmmm.....

NO, just NO...lets re-phrase that:

37 hours on a bus at a cost of R$ 280

Oh my god..that was epic...! A very long time to be sitting on a bus with screaming kids and mad portugeeeese speaking people! crazy experience. Although we did save 2 nights accomodation...

And, the best bit was probably the fact that we travelled through some of the remotist parts of Brazil. Roads, where we´re going, we don´t need roads! But potholes would be good like...lol. Yeah, the scenery was fascinating (when I wasn´t asleep!)...And we must have stopped in about 15 little bus stations. Getting off and the peple had never seen a white person before - absolutely fascinated, but once again - watch your pockets! A mad experience, and by the end of it we were friends with the bottom half of the bus...! Rob pissed off a granny in like the first 5 minutes of the journey- so the front weren´t so keen. HA!

You really have to see these villages, old men riding donkeys past the window..mango and fruit sellers at every tree...little kids lying on the ground half naked with flys circulating their heads...shanty houses everywhere, but then newish cars parked outside?! the old buildings with faded paint and crumbling walls - absolutely mesmerising. We also must have passed about 3 car crashes on the whole journey..pretty bad ones too...

Was quite funny though. We were convinced it was 26 hours, so at the 25]6 hour mark we were going to get pff the bus. But it was a dirt track- this can´t be sau luis!!! nah, only an hour to go...and we waited and waited. that hour turned into 10- we were shattered...so funny laughing at ourselves..he he he...

Turned up at the hostel door at 8 15am...no one i sight so we sat around and I sketched a bit. Door open, dump bags - beach! awesome...!

I love this travelling malarky...! I´ll fill you in on Sao luis soon...must disapear for a bit though.

have fun ya´ll...don´t miss you like, having too much fun here...he he he

marco

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb