Pe No Chao


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Lençóis
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trio Pe no chao(barefoot)Trio Pe no chao(barefoot)Trio Pe no chao(barefoot)

Beginning our four day hike. I was lucky to get the lightest load.
We were lucky to get some insider information about going to the Valley of Capao and hiking to the Valley of Pati. We didn't know much except it was supposed to be beautiful, cheap and include lots of hiking.

Off we went on a seven hour bus ride and then a hitchiking adventure where I lost 5 years of my life. The bruises are still healing from the off roading adventure.

The tiny mountain town was well worth the effort to get to. The best part though was the comida caseira from Dona Beli who's living room doubled as the hottest restaurant in town. Not often you get to eat great food while watching the latest soap opera with Dona Beli's family.

The next step was securing a guide for our adventure. We ran into one in the street, met another at our hotel but still hadn't found the right fit. Luckily, we were introduced to the famous Pe no Chao. His name is Joao but had long been called Pe no chao because he doesn't wear any shoes when he hikes.
We were up to our first trekking experience but didn't quite know what we were
Some Friends we met on the trail.Some Friends we met on the trail.Some Friends we met on the trail.

We met a group of great people from England on our first day. A well needed distraction for the first half of the day.
getting into which is probably a good thing.

We ended up hiking 25 KM a day(roughly 16 miles). This wasn't flat hiking either. We spent a good part of the time using all fours to navigate the terrain.

Each night we would sleep in the natives houses in the valley. There are seven families that still live in the valley. They need to walk for 6 hours to get provisions from any store. Therefore most of the food we were eating was grown or raised in their backyard.
The accomodations were simple but clean and the food was amazing.
We ate like kings for breakfast and dinner and we were all in bed by 8pm since there is no electricity in the valley.
Reading and going to the bathroom by candlelight sounds a lot more romantic than it really is.

Interacting and being part of the natives family for a night or two was a really special experience. They had soo much insight to give on the area and were really neat people. I of couse could only talk to them through translation since their portuguese is even harder for me to understand than the portuguese from
are we there yet?are we there yet?are we there yet?

A little break on our first looong day of hiking
Rio or Sao Paulo. They somehow have figured out how to talk without opening their mouths!

All is all we had a great time, accomplished our first trek and were led by an amazing guide and friend Joao.

Off to the beachs of Bahia to relax next!

Liz and Cristiano





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hotel Mr WilsonHotel Mr Wilson
Hotel Mr Wilson

This is where we spent two nights of our trip. Mr. Wilson and his family were great hosts. The setting of their house was also beautiful.
Looking outLooking out
Looking out

The second day we hiked to a lookout of many waterfalls below.
The CastleThe Castle
The Castle

The third day we hiked to the top of this mountain. Literally mountain climbing at parts. There was a great view of the entire valley from the top.
Pooped!Pooped!
Pooped!

After hiking to the top of the castle and out to a waterfall. I could hardly move. Luckily dinner and my bed were only steps away.
Thanks to our HostsThanks to our Hosts
Thanks to our Hosts

Our home for the third night. Our gracious host to the left. His daughters were busy preparing our dinner next door.
We are Done!!!We are Done!!!
We are Done!!!

Yeah! We made it! Time to put our feet up and enjoy a cold cocktail.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb