Moving from the Amazon to the Caribbean


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
March 17th 2009
Published: March 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, sorry for the delay in the update, got involved in other stuff!

From Alto de Chao we had a short sail to Santerem. This is a busy place where many of the boats that move the local people living along the Amazon from place to place call at. It appears that people board the boats and then hire a hammock on deck as the time it takes between places takes days. We got off the ship in the evening after we arrived and went into the town. It is a vibrant place with the locals eating and drinking outdoors although the town is not very prosperous. We walked along the water front and then met two policemen who advised us not to venture any further as it became less safe in that part of town. We decided to try the local beers and sat on the waterfront watching the locals go by.
The next day we had all booked on a boat trip to go into the flood plains to see the wildlife. We had a great day. We had a guide who was so enthusiastic it was untrue. Everytime he spotted something he would become animated as he explained what it was. We saw all types of different birds, it was uthopia for two of the party who are bird watches! We also saw a sloth and an iguana in trees and the water buffalo were amazing as they swam to different areas to graze!
We then moored up to fish for pirahnas. Unfortunately no one on our boat had any success.
We departed Santerem that evening and had 3 days at sea as we transited the Amazon, into the Atlantic and on to our first port of call in the Caribbean, Tobago. We introduced Gerry and Kevin to deck quoits and Kevin went on to win the competition on the boat. I ought to get a job teaching this as I am a better teacher then player!
We had a tour of the island with a guy who was very amusing by the name of Elvis. He was a local, knew everyone and was very knowledgable as well as entertaining. After the tour we hit the beach. The Caribbean water and beaches are excellent and we chilled out for a couple of hours before returning to the ship.
We have had 3 formal nights so far, the men wearing their DJ,s or white dinner jackets and the women looking gorgeous and very glamerous in their dresses.
We travelled overnight to St Lucia. On arrival there we decided to visit a beach resort as we had visited the island previously. Two of the party booked an ariel tram ride through the rain forest, travelling amongst the treeline and said it was very good. On the beach we had an adrenalin fix on the jet ski's and then had the local shrimp in garlic for lunch which was excellent.
Overnight we travelled to St Kitts where we have just arrived (it is 7.45am here).
I will update you on what happens over the next few days,
Hope everyone is well.
See you soon.

The gang.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb