Amazonas, Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
September 22nd 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sept 20, 2008

AMAZONIA, Brazil

We are not too sure what to expect with this part of our adventure, but maybe that’s the best part !!!

This morning we flew 3 hours to Manaus, a city in the heart of the rain forest on the Rio Negro River about 35 KM from the junction of the Solimoes River that then becomes the Amazon River and dumps into the Atlantic ocean. Or flight took us to Belem for a short stop and we got some great views of the mouth and delta of the Amazon where it dumps into the ocean. WOW !!! This is a serious river !

We spent the afternoon and evening exploring the beach on the Rio Negro and part of Manaus close to the hotel. ( Hotel Tropical - largest 5 star hotel in Brazil with about 600 rooms ) More craft shopping !! We didn’t venture into the city as it is a a few kilometers away. This is a city of over 2 million and growing very fast. 45 % of the working population are employed in the electronics manufacturing business with about 400 factories of various sizes in the area. This is beautiful place in the middle of the rain forest with some surprising large sandy beaches on the river.

Sunday morning we boarded the river cruiser TUCANO for the start of our 7 day river adventure on the Rio Negro River. This is a beautiful wooden ship that was built on the Rio Negro. Very comfortable with room for 18 passengers. Good food, air conditioned rooms, bathrooms with showers and a great outdoor viewing deck to sit and watch the river go by.

This should be a lot of fun !!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb