COPACABANA, BOLIVIA


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
September 29th 2012
Published: September 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

28th September – Copacabana, Bolivia

We drove to Copacabana today. At the Peru/Bolivia border we had to change buses as the Peru bus drivers and guides aren’t allowed to go to Bolivia. We could change our money here to Bolivianos which was good. We then had to line up and get our Peru visa form stamped and then line up again and get our passport stamped with the exit date from Peru. After that we had to walk up a hill, cross the border and line up again,fill out another visa form and get our passport stamped with the entry date into Bolivia.

Our guide for Bolivia was waiting for us – Larissa is her name. We then caught a mini bus the rest of the way to Copacabana. The bus ride was different – apparently the bus we were meant to use was being fixed so we had this bus from the junkyard I think (certainly belonged there) and had to use a back road as the main road was being tarred. Hilarious bus ride but we did arrive eventually.

The town has a large 16th-century shrine, the Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana. Our Lady of Copacabana is the patron saint of Bolivia. The town is also known for its famous Basilica, home of the Virgin of Copacabana, its trout, and its quaint atmosphere. Built between Mount Calvario and Mount Niño Calvario, the town has approximately 6,000 inhabitants. Copacabana is well known for its religious celebrations and festivals.

We stayed at the Hotel Gloria and all the rooms are big in this hotel except the showers but had a great view of the lake from our room (see photos). Gustavo our other guide took us to this little restaurant for lunch where it looked like everything was handmade out of wood. Had a 3 course meal for 25 Bolivianos ( about $5).

After lunch we all had wander around the street and then some of the group took a walk up to Mount Calvario. Not me of course as this town is 3,840 metres above sea level and walking up a small hill was enough for me. Didn’t get to see anymore of the town as we were advised to have dinner in the hotel. That was okay as we got to see the sun set.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb