Snow-capped mountains to steamy jungle on foot


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
February 8th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hola!
We arrived in Bolivia safe and sound. Five days ago we were dropped off in the high Andes, at about 15,000 ft, to start our backpacking trek down the Choro trail in Bolivia. We had trouble finding the trail, so we camped aside a snow clad mountain the first night. The night brought harsh wind, freezing cold and a giant headache (because we were not acclimated to the altitude). In the morning we found the trail, which was covered in snow, and began our 71 km descent. We were rewarded with an unforgetable landscape and a blizzard! The snow soon changed to sleet then rain and vegetation became more abundant as we entered the Paramo Zone. Along the way, there were very tiny villages (2-3 buildings) that we passed through and sought refuge from the rain. The hike took 5 days, we stopped plenty to watch birds and look for other wildlife. Highlights include: hooded mountain toucan, gould´s inca, slaty gnateater, a slug eating snake, many butterflies and wooly monkeys. The hike ended in warm, lush tropical rainforest and by this time we had feet beckoning for a rest and extreme hunger (at least I did). We were elated when we found copious amounts of fallen mangos on the trail, very refreshing! I´ll post pictures soon.
Jen

Advertisement



8th February 2011

Nice adventure! I'm glad it was downhill!lol If you get into Santa Cruz, say hello to Marty and his wife at the Pub Irelandes on the main square. Cheers, travel safe, Dan

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb