Urubamba to Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Santa Cruz Department
November 15th 2015
Published: November 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Urubamba to Machu Picchu

A quick breakfast at the break of dawn and our taxi awaited to the train station. Our cabin was very comfortable with windows in the ceiling to take advantage of the mountain views. We arrived at the bus station to ride up to Machu Picchu at around 8.15. We couldn't find our guide so proceeded to walk around on our own (along with a few thousand others). We wanted to climb Wayna Picchu first but found that if you want to do this it needs to be booked about three months in advance. So we decided to go and see if we could find our guide via the information centre. Trev and Deane found him (Felix) and we had a guided tour around the ruins. Next we walked up to the sun gate. It was a scorching hot day and the sunblock just melted off us leaving us a bit red at the end of the day.

Walking around the ruins was amazing. I just had to stop and take it all in; how old these were, how the people managed this on a logistical level and how it must have been back then in all its glory. Their practicality in building and infrastructure is comparable (by my thinking) to what the Romans achieved.

It was fantastic going up to the Sungate and looking down onto the Machu Picchu ruins and also we were able to see where my brother Mel finished his four day hike up to there. My legs were aching at the end of the day so I can't imagine how exhausted he must've been!

We did the return trip back on the bus and train and went to bed exhausted yet very satisfied to have ticked another item off my bucket list.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement












Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb