We survived the death train!


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We did indeed survive the death train, a 19hr journey from the border to Santa Cruz. Its not actually dangerous... Named because it is so deathly boring! An adventure all the same... at every stop women and little children get onto the train and sell their wares, as well as full meals in plastic trays. The train has to stop quite often and hoot its horn because animals wonder onto the track! overall, its pretty damn uncomfortable. we decided that a journey on the death train is like riding a horse on a boat! not only are you bouncing about but you're swaying all over the place. Oh yes, and top speed is about 30mph!

So anyway, we are now staying in a really great hostel called Jodanga. it has a pool and a really nice community feel to it. we've also been traveling with 3 people from leeds since saturday... it feels good to have company. We all went out last night to a bar and then onto a club. the club was full of camera crews because Miss Bolivia was there. Turns out her middle name is David.... "and the title of miss bolivia 2009 goes to.......Daaaave!" hehe!

We found this little mock authentic bolivian market in the centre of town today that gave us a flavour of this country. Some of the wares were, taxidermy baby alligators (some of them with bundles of wood and little axes!), goat hoof bottle openers, wine bottle covers made with cow udders, teets included! As well as beautiful silver jewellery and wooden toys.

Theres so much character in Bolivia. I love this place already. Off to La Paz soon... cant wait to get to the chily mountains and out of this heat.

Will keep you posted x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb