Bolivia Salt Flats Day 2 and 3


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
November 7th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5 this morning, I jumped out of bed being used to the early starts not like any of the others in the group. Some decided to miss breakfast to get an extra 10 mins! We were travelling in 4x4´s today so we got loaded up and off we went. The drivers wher very good and a bit crazy at the same time. They must have known were they were going as there was no road signs just dusty tracks. The plan for today was to explore the deserts, the lagoons and the volcanoes in southern Bolivia. We arrived first at the blue lagoon with about a handful of flamingo´s there feeding of the algae in the lagoon. We then saw the red lagoon, green lagoon and the stinky lagoon. They where different colours due to the minerals in them and on what type of rock they laid on. The red was on magma lying next to a dormant volcano, the stinky was mainly sulphur and the green was toxic! Cotaining arsenic and borax, no wildlife around here as they would be dead.
On the way back to the hotel we stopped off in a natural hot spa. It was on the edge of one of the lagoons. The hot water was forced up to the surface due to the high amounts of volcanic activity over the years to create the hot spa. As the hotel didnt have showers this was the only way to have a wash tonight. The only bad thing was getting out! Going from 38 degree water to cold windy outdoors!
On the way back to Uyuni to catch the night bus to La Paz we stopped at a train cemetry. The trains were used to export the silver out of the country but as the silver had ran out they were not needed any more. M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb