Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
July 18th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we have been and gone through Bolivia in no time but really enjoyed it. We started in La Paz, a massive city at 3700m so walking up even the smallest hills got us peckin a wee bit! La Paz was crazy. Markets all over the streets but with some awesome bargains (alpcaca jumper for 6 quid!) and not so awesome bargains at the witches market (llama foetus´to bury under your house for good luck.. hmmm!). We had a good night out where the boys had "Mo livia" where they had to have some odd facial hair thing going on, so feeling left our I pencilled myself on a nice tache- check out the pic!

After a good couple of days in La Paz and buying souveniers for next to nothing we headed off to Potosi. Bumping along the roads we finally came to the highest city in the world at 4060m. It´s a silver mining town and back in the old days it was the richest town in the world until Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid robbed the trains carrying the silver. I didnt even think they were real people! We didn´t go down the mine due to me being scared of the dark small dustiness (and Craig was too although he probably wouldn´t admit it!) but those that did said it was a good experience, especially when they lit the dynamite!

After Potosi it was off to Uyuni for the Salt Flats. The Salt Flats were amazing. A whole sea of salt the size of Switzerland! We took some really cool photos check out me riding the llama!! In the warm sun we walked around Cactus island and got spectacular views of the salt. It felt like we were on some weird planet! The sunset was really something but once the sun went down it was freezing! After having such a warm day to then be frozen was pretty odd and we couldn{t wait to

Our last day took us to Tupiza where it was a freecamp before heading into Argentina. We had a great drive through a river bed with big craggy rocks all around and bumping all over the place (bring back the Tarmac!). We had a great camp fire with a few vinos and talked about how we´d all really enjoyed our short time in Bolivia (and how it had saved us many pennies!)

We are now back in Santiago and our overland trip is over (boo hoo) but the next blog will be an Argentina/Chile combo! Bring on a bit of ski action and Tango!

Hope everyone is well

Helen & Craig x



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb