Into Bolivia


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Repair TimeRepair TimeRepair Time

Bolivian Bus drivers have more than one job!
So after many kilometers travelling on buses around the fantastic and so diverse scenery of Argentina we finally said goodbye today and opened another shining chapter on Bolivia. What a welcome it had in store for us!

The border crossing into Bolivia was a bridge spanning a small river. It was rather a chaotic set up but proved to be rather easy. We only had to ask several times where get our entry and exit stamps.

First stop upon reaching the border (town called Villazon) is always to get the new countries cash and a ticket out of there as border towns aren´t the most exciting places and are often dodgey. So loaded like mules we hunted out the only ATM in town and possibly the only one for the next week. Boom boom! disaster number 1 strikes! Its hard to watch where you are going when you are looking over a day pack on your front and absorbed in whats going on around you. Leanne found one of the many pot holes in the pavement. Mix a twisted swollen ankle and 3600m of altitude and you have one dizzy Codd. So we sat on the pavement wondering how bad the ankle would be and Leanne concentrating so not to pass out. After a small lie down, Leanne hobbled off and although the ankle swollen, it can still be walked on, just. After a quick expensive phone call to HSBC to unblock Matts card and explain for the second time, dates and countries he would be in for the next 6 months, we got our cash and bought a ticket out of Villazon.

The bus station was crawling with people all offering the best and cheapest bus. We joined 3 Alaskan girls we had met in Humhuaca and chose a bus that looked great in the photo and cost us just over 1USD each. Lets just say that when the bus turned up, the photo we saw may have been true to form give or take 20 years. Never the less the bus looked like it had done the trip numerous times and hey it was only a 3 hour trip (and we have seen worse buses in India). So, 20 minutes into our trip along a bumpy gravel road BOOM BOOM ! (and this was a very load boom boom that shook the bus from your feet up) disaster number 2. The bus came to a halt right smack bang in the middle of nowhere. Thinking it was a flat tyre and safely at a stand still we weren´t too concerned and expected to be back on the road soon. That was until the bus driver climbed back on the bus looking for some more tools from the tool kit. We went outside to find him lying under the bus with the distinct words "roto grande" (broken big!) being muttered. He then proceeded to lie there with a rather large mallet banging something around the drive shaft. What next?? Call for another bus?? Well no this is Bolivia. So someone flagged down a passing car back to Villazon. After sitting in the heat on the side of the road for an hour as we listened to the driver banging under the bus and dodging the threat of stones as often drivers drove past at insane speeds, bus number 2 arrived to save the day! Hearing all the stories of Bolivian transport, it was not nice to have it confirmed on your first day in the country.

So we continued. We sat with our Alaskan friends listening to the Bolivian horn game. We are still not sure if a horn means get out of the way or do you see me coming, but when you fly through one way tunnels with only a horn to warn potential on coming traffic you are best to just close your eyes and hope.

So now we sit safe and sound in Tupiza, a true Bolivian town and home to Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance kids final stance. So tomorrow we hope to horse ride.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb