The surreal world of the Salar de Uyuni


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
October 7th 2007
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We´ve just had the most incredible four days in the southwest corner of Bolivia on the Chilean border - mostly known for the Salar de Uyuni (salt flats) but it also has lakes and mountains the most incredible colours that you´ll ever see.


The four days were spent being driven around to various sights by our Spanish guide and cook, neither of them spoke a word of English but between us and the American couple we were with we managed ok, and anything we weren´t sure about, we just made up! We stayed in the villages with families but in purpose built rooms which were basic but comfortable enough for a night. Even though it was sunny during the day the nights were freezing because of the high altitude but the stars were amazing.


When I look back at a lot of the photos they don´t look real, most of the land was very dry and barren but then all of a sudden a laguna would appear coloured either turquoise, green, red or white. The white is a substance called borax - used mainly in detergents, cosmetics and enamel glazes. As many of the lagunas are surrounded by volcanoes they also contain other minerals, including sulphur making them a bit smelly! There were thousands of flamingos living and feeding from the lakes, apparently about 4 different species but it´s a bit difficult to tell them apart as they just all look very pink.


As well as the lagunas, there are also active volcanoes in the area and rocks from previous explosions which have subsequently been shaped by the wind and rain - such as the stone tree in one of the pictures. Also, geysers & thermal pools and mountains which look as though they have been painted by hand as the colours as so vivid.


The main attraction is the slat flats - the largest one in the world. It is so vast and bright that it´s great for creating optical illusions, although the photos aren´t as easy to create as you´d think! Only a small amount of the salt is farmed and used for consumption in Bolivia only - it´s not profitable enough to export. The salt naturally forms the polgonal shape - if you break through the surface of the salt there is water underneath, however much rain there is each
Laguna VerdeLaguna VerdeLaguna Verde

with Volcan Licancabur looming behind
year is the thickness of the salt layer, apparently always replenishing itself.


We are heading back to Argentina tomorrow and even though we have loved Bolivia we are really looking forward to it.....especially the steaks, as being vegetarian didn´t really work for us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Green mossGreen moss
Green moss

Used as a fire starter by the local people
Laguna ColoradaLaguna Colorada
Laguna Colorada

Red from all of the algae and sediments at the bottom of the lake
Volcan OllagueVolcan Ollague
Volcan Ollague

Smouldering quietly
Flowering cactusFlowering cactus
Flowering cactus

See mum, contrary to what you tell me cactus´ are easy to grow!


18th October 2007

nice
wow, pictures of the lake look surreal :-)

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 29; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb