Bolivia by Jeep - Day 3 - Maybe the Flamingo Ate Your Baby


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
February 27th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Laguna ColoradaLaguna ColoradaLaguna Colorada

This place blew me away. I LOVED the flamingos!
***I keep forgetting to mention a little something I only recently discovered about this site. You can double click on a photo to pull it up in a larger format and then slide show through all the photos in the entry***

Another entry where I'll mostly let the photos do the talking. The scenery got more and more spectacular as the days went on. This day we started by going to Laguna Colorada first. We were amazed at the number of flamingos and how beautiful the perfectly still lake was. We actually got to spend a bit of extra time here while our guides did some more "preventive maintenance" on the jeep. That was nice, because we got to walk around a bit and listen to the "pingos" and just take in the scenery.

Next stop was the Arbol de Piedra (Tree of Rock). This whole area was stunning...with it's unique rock formations. Again, a bit of extra time was spent here while the drivers and guides worked on a leaking radiator of one of the jeeps. We ate Oreos and drank some coca tea for the altitude and just leisurely strolled around snapping photos.

We detoured from the usual route somewhere around this point. We had actually been told this night before, so it was no big surprise. Just outside Laguna Colorada, where we had stayed the night before, it where we met up with tour groups that had started in Uyuni. They had shared some "road conditions" with our guides and the decision was made to detour. Apparently some recent rains had made the route that normally goes by Salar de Chiguana very dangerous. So, we went through the Valle de Rocas (where we had a lovely picnic on the rocks of chicken and pasta) and the small villages of Alota and San Cristobal and ended up spending the night in the town of Uyuni. We cruised the town a bit and bought some Bolivian beer to share with our guides and jeep-mates.

Off to bed relatively early as we had a 4am wake-up call for the next morning's departure to the Salar de Uyuni.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Sugar suckers kept us silly...Sugar suckers kept us silly...
Sugar suckers kept us silly...

...and awake during the bone jarring hours of the jeep ride..
Dave drinkin' the 'erb teaDave drinkin' the 'erb tea
Dave drinkin' the 'erb tea

For the altitude headaches
More Laguna ColoradaMore Laguna Colorada
More Laguna Colorada

It was so still and peaceful there, despite the thousands of flamingos.
Orphaned Baby VicuñaOrphaned Baby Vicuña
Orphaned Baby Vicuña

This little guy lived at the ranger station. I think I should get one for Silver Salmon.
Around every corner...Around every corner...
Around every corner...

...another spectacular view


Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 76; dbt: 0.2802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb