Salt Flat 4x4 Jeep Tour Day 2


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were up bright and early on the second day and made our way to Laguna Colarada. But not before Miguel stifled some petrol out of our tank and sold it to the locals. A bit worrying seeing as we had to get all the way to Uyuani through the desert and no petrol stations, but I’m sure he knew what he was doing.

The lagoon was known as the red lagoon with flamingos. The lagoon was red because of all the algae that lives there, which subsequently gives the flamingos their pink colour. It was a very large lagoon with hundreds of flamingos on the surface of the water. Once again it had a stunning backdrop of mountains and a beautiful reflection. Everything about this trip so far amazed us. We had quite a drive until our next destination so Miguel but on his best selection of classic love songs and we all sang our hearts out, much to his annoyance! We stopped at several lagoons along the way, each just as pretty as the other.

In the afternoon we arrived at Arbol de Piedra, the stone tree. It was exactly as it sounds; a big stone rock which over time had formed into the shape of a tree.

It was incredible the different formations that the rocks had taken along our journey. Some a complete mystery how they got there and others we were explained that wind and rain had corroded them into their shapes.

We drove through the valley of Viscacha. These are basically very large rabbits with even longer tails. There were also plenty of Lama along the way, which would have explained where our dinner was probably caught from.

Another whole day of incredible beauty, volcanic backdrops and glistening lagoons, we eventually arrived at our accommodation for the evening. It was a very small mining village approx. 2 hours from Uyuani. It took 10 minutes to circle the entire village, we were still literally in the middle of nowhere. They did however manage to import beer in so that was very welcoming when we got there. Although Perdy had to go for a lie down, as she had managed to bang her head with full force 4 times that day and was now nearly out cold. An observation we had already made about Bolivia was just how small the indigenous people were, therefore the entrances to buildings were probably about 5ft 5. Perdy hadn’t quite grasped the fact of having to duck every time she walked in anywhere. 4 bumps to the head and I think she’s now learnt her lesson.

We had a lovely dinner of Lama steak and chips and once again an early night. Another early start the next day and we all went to bed thinking about what poses we would be creating on the salt flats the next day. The land of optical illusion.



Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th August 2011

Salt flat jealousy
I wish i'd gone here, I went close on a 4x4 tour & the scenery was amazing.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb