Rocks, lakes and salt.


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Strange rock formations near Tupiza.Strange rock formations near Tupiza.Strange rock formations near Tupiza.

Made by glaciers melting squillions of years ago.
For my final days in Bolivia I booked a 4 day tour which took me from a town called Tupiza to another called Uyuni. Tupiza is said to resemble the Wild West with lots of quebradas (gorges) and it is near where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid eventually met their demise. Uyuni is the nearest town to the weirdy salt flats, which is one of the things I looked forward to seeing most in South America.

The tour mostly comprised of driving all day in a jeep, stopping to see various sights on the way. As well as the driver and the cook, my group consisted of 2 English girls, an American guy and an Aussie guy- we all got on reall well and had so much fun!

We saw different rock formations, coloured lagoons, flamingos, tonnes of llamas and finally spent a few hours posing and playing with perspective on the salt flats.

The only bad bit of the tour was the temperature in the night due to the altitude (between 4000-5000 metres above sea level)- it would reach minus 20 degrees- brrrr chilly! The accomodation was very basic and I was only just warm enough with 3 blankets, a sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, tights, 2 pairs of wooly socks, pj bottoms, vest, t-shirt, long sleeved t-shirt, jumper, fleece, hat and gloves!!! It was worth it though!

Bye bye Bolivia!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Yet another landscape!Yet another landscape!
Yet another landscape!

The llama looks like she´s about to go off to a party with her little bow tie!
Laguna ColoradoLaguna Colorado
Laguna Colorado

The water is red because of the keratin (sp?) in the plants under the water
´Stone Tree´´Stone Tree´
´Stone Tree´

A volcanic rock which was flung miles from the volcano and has been eroded by the wind.
Dawn at the salt flatsDawn at the salt flats
Dawn at the salt flats

the hexagon shapes on the salt floor are created by the wind
Woo hoo!Woo hoo!
Woo hoo!

Shadows were really long as the sun came up


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb