Cobija-Rio Acre-Bolpebra Long Boat Expedition


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Pando Department » Cobija
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another exciiting and worthwhile expedition is the one from Cobija,Pando,Bolivia, up the Acre River all the way to BOLPEBRA, which is the point where Bolivia,Peru and Brazil meet at a joint border. with Sao Francisco de Asis, in Brazil, and Inhapiri in Peru. Along the way you must stop to meet the Yaminawa ethnic group at Puerto Yaminawa, which is halve way up the Acre on the Bolivian side of the bank. Try to make this trip in the rainy season, December,January,or February, otherwise the Acre river will be to shallow and you will have to wade part of the way. Considering that there is plenty of wild life, it is best to stay on your canoe, and by no means go to sleep or take a znoose, for water anacondas, dog fish, and other species, are keen at detecting sleeping prey. It is deep Amazon Hialeah,or Canopy Forest that you will be immersed in, so make sure to take your camera and other recording paraphernalia. The Yaminawa are excellent people,very friendly, and helpful. Although in the jungle, never trust anyone, for it is you and your guardian angel that will have to do most of the security work. Take plenty of food, water, repellent, and spare parts for your outboard motor, specially the pin, those brake all the time in shallow waters. Some change is useful in buying fish, jungle meat, and handicrafts from the people along the river. Take both currencies,bolivian pesos, and brazilian reais, for the other side of the bank is Brazil, and it has a very good size border town, where there are some hostels, and good food. You may want to take the bus back to Brasilea, and Cobija if you had enough jungle navigational thrills going up river, or you can go on to the Peruvian Highlands from Inhapiri. Always travel in a group, and lock yourself up, when resting in any jungle hostel. Have a nice adventure. By the way, the sounds of the jungle are awesome, so are the ethnic groups. I you are interested in further adventure or research, you may try to contact the Manchinere, that live several hours inland from Puerto Yaminawa. Take a Yaminawa chief as your guide, watch for other characters that are not from the tribe, they might do you in for good. Don't forget your life vest, your survival kit, and your yellow fever shots. I insist, take plenty of bug spray and repellent for you will be in the mist of the endemic malaria region. Use long sleeves and trousers, the jungle is not West Palm Beach. Be careful, and enjoy the "Amazonie Tropicale" who knows how long it is going to stay wild. so make the best of it while it lasts.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb