BOLIVIA - TRAIN TO UYUNI


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Oruro Department
December 15th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We frittered away our morning in Oruro with a movie on Cable TV, then went out briefly to explore the town. The main plaza is pretty with some nice colonial buildings. We found a good barber for Andy to have a haircut (under £2) and a great spot for lunch where the almuerzo (set meal) was only 15 Bs (about £1.30).

We hopped aboard the Express del Sur bound for Uyuni at 3.30pm. It wasn’t quite as posh as the photos in the website but it was the safest way to get to Uyuni. The landscape was flat and dusty, dotted with the odd hill or mountain. Although it was harsh and barren it was still beautiful and there were a few interesting villages along the way. One large village seemed to be a ghost town with the houses having crumbling walls and no roofs. There were two boys playing nearby, but they couldn’t have lived there - it was empty.

The most amazing sight was a floodplain area with literally thousands of flamingos wallowing in the water. It was wonderful to see them in such numbers and they were as beautiful as ever.

Amy had a great time on the train when a little girl called Anna befriended her. They ran about the carriage for ages, played with Amy's toys, then Anna gave Amy a makeover. Andy helped out too by painting Amy's finger nails.


Advertisement



25th January 2010

Hi, thanks for sharing I am planning to Uyuni on March, about the train in Oruro you mention do you have to book in advance?
28th January 2010

Oruro Train
Hi there, we used Tupiza Tours (La Paz office) to book our tickets for the train. The train was full so I think it is advisable to book ahead.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb