Bolivia - and the arrival of the grandparents


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 29th 2006
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Great cruise across Lake Titicaca in what turned out to be virtually our own private catamaran. Only one other guest - who by a strange coincidence was called Marianne, had red hair, sung alto in a choir and had two girls and a boy (although there the similarities stopped!) Sailed to a fantastic island (Island of the Sun) where supposedly the Incan religion was born. Marianne, Lauren, Marcus and Polly were blessed by a shaman - so expect to see the difference on their return (I´ve been watching, but haven´t seen any results yet).

On to La Paz, a sprawling and busy city - every road seems to be a street market selling everything from "Abibas" and "Redock" training shoes to wedding cakes to avocados as large as melons. Noisy, sometimes smelly, but fun. Unfortunately a lengthy walk around this morning has given Marianne another dose of altitude sickness - we´re very high here, but she´s off tomorrow and flies to sea level at 6.00am so hopefully this dose will be shortlived.

Bolivia is incredibly poor and incredibly cheap - it is almost embarrassing how little everything costs and how grateful people are for the smallest tips. We tipped our catamaran crew of 9 people about $10 for all their help (and the guide said we were tipping too much) and the crew were so delighted they all came and shook my hand.

Last night, we waited up for Gaby and Irene´s arrival - scheduled for 10.00pm. We waited until about 12.30 and then abandoned the wait as we had no idea where they might have been routed. They in fact turned up at about 1.00am. Their bags had been lost between Heathrow and Madrid, found in San Paolo; they had then flown to Santa Cruz but been told they couldn´t take the connecting flight from there to La Paz but would have to take a later one. Given the excitement and length of journey, they have turned up in good form. Gaby was trying on at the market the bowler hats that the Spanish decided would be suitable women´s wear in Bolivia when the conquered and attracting much hilarity. Irene I guess is just enjoying the fact that she is as tall as the average male Bolivian!

Those staying are all really sad to see Polly and Marianne going home tomorrow - although Marianne is pleased to be going down to lower altitudes and Polly is ecstatic at the thought of seeing all of her friends and going back to school. Watch out if you are one of Polly´s friends - I shouldn´t think she´ll stop talking to you for a week once she´s back.

Tomorrow off to an Incan remain the is called something like Tiwanaku. Irene insists on mispronouncing it. I can see where Polly inherits it from.

Doubt there´ll be many logs for a few days. Some of the places we are staying don´t have electricity - I doubt they´ll have a generator for internet.

Good luck to school returners, holiday returners etc. Tell us about your summers.

Advertisement



30th August 2006

Hello again,
Can't believe that it is time for Marianne and Polly to leave. We don't seem to have done anything remotely interesting in all that time compared to you lot. Enjoy the rest of the trip Dave, Lauren and Marcus. Love to Gabi and Irene, glad they arrived safely in the end. Will be in touch with Marianne and Polly soon. love Sue and Phil xxxxx
30th August 2006

coooo weeyyy!!
hey guys, hope your having lots of fun without us, were just bored and waiting for our 2nd flight!! but 2nd to last and were just SOOOOOOOOO NEARLY HOME!! cant wait to get there, im mega tired!! hope you all had fun at wankaplace!! missing you lots already!! xxxxxx
31st August 2006

hello & goodbye
Glad to hear of the safe arrival of the grandparents - what fortitude to be treking and travelling with such gusto! Also have just received txt message to announce the safe arrival in uk of Marianne and Polly. Hope the Famous Five (different characters - same scanario) continue to have a great time. love Carrie

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb