Laguna Glacial Trek


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 17th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

La Paz to Sorata


This trek started from a town called Sorata, situated 4 hours drive from La Paz, in the middle of the Andes. No doubt, it is a nice place.

Since this trek goes into a high altitude of around 5000m, it is usually done with a mule, as the ascends at this altitude are pretty demanding, and a guide is needed as there is no clear pass.
This was the first time for me to do a trek in such a way, and I found it's nice not to get exhausted in the end of each day, but than you do lack a bit of independence.

On the way we met our guide's family that leaves in a village up the road from Sorata. It was interesting to see the traditional way they continue to live and work by.

The most impressive thing in this trek for me were the clouds - we started below them, went inside'em, finally climbing way above'em.
The changes in the landscape were dramatic!

Laguna Glacial itself wasn't too impressive, but the views we had on Monte Illampu were incredible.

On the way back, when we've reached the village of our guide, Emilie and Marilyne were in a rush, so we've decided to catch a local 'taxi' to Sorata from that village.
This was a very interesting experience! Our taxi was a Camionate which is basically an open pick up, and people just go in it's backside.
At first it was OK, but than down the way more and more people got in, so we ended up something like 20 people, not including small children and bags.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Inside the cloudsInside the clouds
Inside the clouds

Me, Marilyne & Emilie


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb