La Paz - Day 2 Was A Ghost Town


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
May 30th 2013
Published: May 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Main Plaza in front of the office of the PresidentThe Main Plaza in front of the office of the PresidentThe Main Plaza in front of the office of the President

Covered in pidgeons - or as we lovingly call them, flying rats!
May 30 - Day 2 in La Paz

After a first day in which we went somewhat overbudget due to our foolish decision to eat meals in tourist trap restaurants, we committed to a lower budget for the day today. That was assisted by the fact that we finally learned what the fireworks were about! It is a national holiday in Bolivia and basically the entire town was shut down. Stubbornly, Jess and I marched from district to district in the city in an attempt to find the most gringo of the gringo bars/restaurants to potentially meet people or wile away the time. After over five hours of walking through the streets - running into street jugglers, a Bolivian Burger King, and what looked like an "Occupy La Paz" movement on their main street, we settled into a bar and felt brave enough to try our first Bolivian beer of the trip. Jess ordered a microbrew from Sucre that was actually great... but their national beer tastes like Coors Light mixed with Lucky Lager and aged in a used laundry hamper for a couple weeks.

Not much else to say about today, but I was able to get caught
Calle JeanCalle JeanCalle Jean

The only street in La Paz that they have maintained in the Spanish colonial style - home to tons of museums
up with blog posts!

Mike


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Coffee with a side of creamCoffee with a side of cream
Coffee with a side of cream

When you get cream for coffee in Bolivia, it comes as whipped cream. Mike is obviously excited by this revelation!


2nd June 2013

Two days
It sounds like things are starting off well. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing from Jessica, too.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb