La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
November 8th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This entry will start with yet another bus-story, we picked the blog-name wisely. After the terrible trip to Potosí, we were warned and picked a first class bus for our nighttrip from Sucre to La Paz. A so-called "cama suit" which promised to be a more modern and safer bus with big, comfortable seats and legspace. We got to the bus-station early and were waiting patiently, noticing that some luggage was lowered down from a second story on a hook, it was very adventurous. We thought that if we had to check our backpacks before the departure (which we never needed to do before), someone would have told us... Wrong!

After we did finally ask if we had to check our bags, the trouble began. We rushed upstairs, gave the lady that was working in the luggage-booth our backpacks and our ticket and got new tickets in return. We wanted to board the bus back downstairs but we were told that according to the tickets, we were on the "second bus" which we never heard of before. While explaining that to us, the five people "working" around the first class bus kept pointing to a bus in a different slot that was clearly a normal travel coach without any comfortable extras. The situation went out of hand: we kept arguing that we paid for the first class bus, the bus-people kept saying we did not and refused to let us on the bus. It was a screamfest. The bus then left without us and 15 min. later came the "second bus" which was ... TADAA ... a "cama suit" just like the one that just left and that we booked. All that stress for nothing...

The trip to La Paz went well and we reached the Bolivian capital in the morning. It was quite a bummer for us that we had to wait until 2 p.m. to check into our room in the hostel though and we had to hang out in the bar for a couple of hours.

We got a super nice first glance of the city though and La Paz is quite spectacular. The whole area around the city is flat but for whatever reason they decided to build the city in a valley. That means that almost all houses are build on a hillside. So from the city center you just see houses rising up all around you and because La Paz is at over 3.600m the clouds hang low into the city. We were not really able to capture that sight on camera so you might wanna google that.

La Paz as the capital is home to the presidential and legislative palace which are set around a square with a disgustingly large amount of pigeons. The San Marco square has a proper equivalent here! The people selling snacks at the place were actually wearing surgical scrubs and a mouth piece, no idea who dares to buy food in a place like that. A little side-note: Evo Morales is Bolivia's first indigenous president.

We already posted photos of the so-called "cholitas" and now is a good time to give a little extra information. The "cholitas" are traditionally dressed women that are a huge part of the Bolivian culture and colorful spots in the cityscapes. The outfit is quite unique, the women wear pleated skirts out of velvet or cloth, woolen cardigans, woven scarves, high bowler hats or straw hats with a large brim and they have their long hair braided into two strong braids. The women carry their children, goods and personal belongings in a big piece of cloth that is knotted together on their backs.

I have become quite fond of them because even though they dress so traditionally they are very fashion-forward and brave with colors. They wear and mix all shades of pink and purble, green, yellow, blue and throw in some gold and metallics. It really is splendid!

It was yet another holiday when we were in La Paz (they celebrate all the religious days Europe got rid off) but we were quite lucky that one of the main tourist attractions, the "Witches Market" was open nonetheless. The market spreads out over a couple of streets and the little shops offer everything a tourist can hope for: souvenirs, woven scarves and cloths, knitwear out of alpaca wool, ceramics, jewlery, bags, etc. for knocked-down prices. Grim actually spent some serious money here (20€).

One thing that was clearly just for locals were the dried lama fetuses (yes, you read correctly) that some shops offered. According to the travel guide it is a lucky charm to bury one of those when you build a house. But still: EW!

We see that quite many follow the blog but hardly anyone leaves a comment. It is much appreciated if you do! Love, Sophie and Grim


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th November 2011

Jag antar att pengarna gick åt på de fina lamafostren...
16th November 2011

I don't want no pigeons
Dear Soph and Grim, Another excellent post! La Paz sounds cool. The pigeons however-gross. Want a quick way to help the population control? Throw rice in the square and boom! (literally) Problem solved in a few hours! And you say that they celebrate all of the religious holidays that Europe got rid of. Not true! Spain also celebrates all of the same holidays that Europe got rid of! ;) I love those indigenous markets! It reminds me of my time in Ecuador. Besos!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb