Lake Titicaca & Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
October 26th 2009
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Uros IslandsThe Uros IslandsThe Uros Islands

A colourful reception committee awaits our arrival on the floating islands on Lake Titicaca.
Whilst on Lake Titicaca we visited the Uros Islands, which are floating reed islands anchored to the bottom of the lake, on which communities live, go to school, trade etc. Although the compacted reeds are 2 metres thick its still a strange floating sensation when you are on them. After some shopping opportunities our group made their way to another island - Amantani.

Here we stayed the night with a local family in their house. At the dock we were met by our ´mama´in her traditional dress and taken for lunch to her home. It was basic but we were lucky as she had a solar panel (so we had light in our room) and we had a bathroom (without running water) attached to the house. Others in the group didnt fare so well. (And at least we speak some Spanish so we could converse with them). It was a beautiful location with views out across the lake and was so peaceful and tranquil. We climbed to the highest point on the island and watched the sunset which was well worth the breathless hike.

The plan for the evening was after dinner with the family we dressed up in
Amantani IslandAmantani IslandAmantani Island

The local "Mamas" and "Papas" that we stayed overnight with.
a poncho and complete with handknitted hats (just so she could recognise which 3 white faces belonged to her) headed off to the local community hall where an Andean pipe band whipped up some tunes for us to dance to with our mama! Despite our reservations it was good fun and we even managed to entertain our mama with our efforts at the local dance moves. (Although Kevin did flummox her with a spot of ´river dancing´mid way through!). Staying with the family really was a unique experience, one not to be forgotten - a highlight.

We then crossed into Bolivia via the most hectic border crossing in the world and headed onto La Paz, the highest capital city in the world set in a bowl surrounded by snow capped mountains. They say it will leave you breathless and it literally does! We had a final supper with our friends from the group at a local Thai restaurant and the following day they flew back to the UK.

An experience not to be missed when in La Paz is to visit El Alto and watch the fighting Cholitas. Indigenous women in traditional dress who wrestle. They do take
Pretty in Pink!Pretty in Pink!Pretty in Pink!

Our Mama must have sussed us out from the very beginning!
their bowler hat off but that´s probably to stop it getting damaged! We also had superheroes and dwarf wrestling. It gets quite serious, at one point a Cholita came flying out of the ring over the barrier and landed on 2 foreigners. We booked VIP tickets and with our ring-side seats really enjoyed our night out, even managing to meet a Cholita afterwards for a photo and a kiss! The following day we set off for Chacaltaya - the highest ski resort in the world and hiked to the summit, amid thundery hail storms (why we ask ourselves!)

After all that activity we decided to spend time chilling and relaxing so stayed at Copacabana on the shores of Lake Titicaca and also in the subtropical valley of Coroico. We even treated ourselves to the best hotels in town (don´t worry David hasn´t had a bang on the head & it was still cheap). Going back to La Paz we got a local minivan or collectivo - squeezed in were 14 adults, 4 children and 5 bowler hats! The alternative was the local bus and we had seen a lady with a sheep get on that!

Continuing with the
View from Taquile IslandView from Taquile IslandView from Taquile Island

We almost thought we had landed on a Greek island.
theme of treating ourselves, we booked into a local hotel in La Paz and stayed in a suite complete with jacuzzi in the room. Andrew was in his element being able to lie in the huge bed and watch TV and then get in the jacuzzi and watch more TV!

Well that´s it for Bolivia. Ciao for now we´re off to Chile!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A wrestling CholitaA wrestling Cholita
A wrestling Cholita

Not the most practical outfit for throwing yourself around the wrestling ring (but at least you look nice!)
Bowler hats galoreBowler hats galore
Bowler hats galore

A typical market scene from Bolivia.
Chacaltaya mountainChacaltaya mountain
Chacaltaya mountain

At an altitude of 5,435m with thundery hail storms (lovely).


26th October 2009

xx
Read your recent 'blog' all very interesting, love the hats!! lol Glad you are both well, look forward to the next instalment. Love to you both (especially Andrew!) only teasing David love you too xx
27th October 2009

schminky pinky hats
Like the hat shot. And the shot from Taquile Island is great. I have an almost exact yellow pom pom hat (super soft alpaca) from our Peru ramblings. Looking forward to Chile report!
27th October 2009

Cholitas- Yay
Hello, I'm glad your friend found you both safe and well and you were able to share that part of your journey with him. I have been keeping up to date, I'm sorry for not e-mailing sooner. I am so excited that you saw the Cholitas! It has made me smile today reading your blog, thank-you for sharing your travels.Trev mentioned that he always wanted to see Lake Titicaca so he had a quick look too. I'm off to Paris in November, not quite the same as South America but at least it is out of Portsmouth. Keep the blogs coming, they are briliant and I love sharing your journey. Take care C x

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb