Day 40


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 3 hours sleep and being hung over we headed over to the pick up point for our day trip of a lifetime, death road with Gravity tours. We jumped on the bus and the guide started saying that we need to tell him if we had more than 1 or 2 beers the night before, whoops, I forgot how many beers i'd had!

After about 50 minutes of driving up to 4800m we got to an area by a lake where we got suited up, biked up and ready to hit the road! Then we had to bless the road, the bikes and drink some pachamama, disgusting vodka type drink at 9am! The 1st 20km are asphalt and you get some serious speeds, overtaking lorries and weaving in and out of other cyclists! Then you get to a police check point where you pay the local tax to join the world's most dangerous road, without any asphalt, just rocks, pebbles and mud slides!

The guide gives you some really good tips about taking the corners and holding the line. Going down the hill you have to keep to the left, close to edge so if a car coming up the hill needs to get past it can without falling over the edge a few hundred metres to the jungle at the bottom!

When you are cycling you can't appreciate where you are and the views because if you take your eyes off the road for a second your a gonna!

There are different stops on the way down where you wait for the slower people in the group and there you can just see where you are and where you have just come from. As you get further down the mountain you pass through waterfalls and rivers getting drenched!

When we eventually got to the bottom there was an animal refuge place where they had a buffet and beers for us for completing the ride accident free! There were spider monkeys, bears, parrots and lots of other animals that were running around causing trouble!

The journey home was hard work in itself, we had to drive back up the world's most dangerous road, it took about 4 hours and was pretty hellish! When we got home we played pool and drank beers with Fran and Nadia as it was there last night, 'Careful'!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1004.1kb