Our arrival in La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 7th 2008
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from La Paz!

Well, the kick-off to our journey certainly has been interesting. Starting from Logan Airport (Boston), Laura and I spotted a D-list celebrity and of course got a picture (one of the Mowry twins from the Disney show “Sister Sister”). After saying about 20 good-byes to our weary parents, we were on our own for the next month or so.

Our flight from Boston to Miami was not running on-schedule, so we had to rush to the terminal of our connection flight to La Paz. After almost missing our plane, we got settled in for the next 6-hours on an overnight flight. Finally, we reached our destination with achy backs and sore ears.

Unfortunately, it took quite a while to get through “la aduana” (customs) in the airport, but we entered the country with no serious complications. We avoided paying the newly established $135 visa fee because we were born in Bolivia, granted we obtain Bolivian I.D.s before we leave the country.

Our Aunt Luz María Calvo (Nena) and cousin María José (Majo-18yrs) waited a whopping three hours to pick us up from the airport in El Alto. However, they welcomed us with open arms and smiling faces. Right away, Nena exclaimed that I looked just like my Tía Christina (our father’s sister).

We took a taxi from the airport down into the city. Fortunately, public transportation in La Paz is very cheap. Therefore, “trufis” and “radio-taxis” will be readily available as a convenient mode of transportation.

Upon arriving at our house (“Casa Calvo”) in the neighborhood of Calacoto, we barely had time to settle in let alone adapt to the high altitude (which is not a very fun process). With headaches and nauseous stomachs, Laura and I had no choice but to begin our work starting with an official lunch/interview with Eduardo López (a noted anthropologist and filmmaker). Our Tía Nena is also an anthropologist and will be helping Laura with her project.

After papaya juice, pea soup, typical La Paz bread, silpancho (a fried egg on top of a flattened and breaded meat), fried potatoes, and TONS of mate de coca (coca leaf tea), we were able to go home and sleep for a good 6 hours. Then, we went out with Majo and her friends to the cinema to see Batman, but opted not to go out to las discotecas.

The next day, we were picked up by our cousin Ingre and her very humorous husband Miguel (who's favorite American expression was "waat tha hellll?" and who's ultimate dream is to visit Disney World) and joined Ingre's mother (Nena's sister) for lunch and lots of lively conversation. After lunch, we spent a large amount of time planning Laura’s project at Nena’s house, with maps, books, contact information, and a large white board. After 7:00 tea time we went home and slept some more (much-needed).

Now, it is a brand new day and time to go into town to buy a cell-phone and some other necessities. We plan on meeting Nena for lunch, going out with Majo in San Miguel, and having dinner with our other cousin Maria (23 yrs).


Until next time, Chao chao!

Besos,

Nejla Esmeralda



Advertisement



9th August 2008

Your arrival in La Paz
Yes, you have to be careful with "sorojche" (altitude sickness) when you arrive in La Paz. As far as drinking copious cups of mate de coca to cope with the symptoms of sorojche, you are in good historical company. I remember when Pope John Paul II arrived in La Paz quite a few years ago, he reportedly drank several cups of mate de coca aboard his airplane prior to landing in El Alto. Fortunately, the high altitude doesn't affect me that much (perhaps because I spent my late childhood and adolescent years in La Paz). Best of luck in the days ahead and I'm happy that you're making some good connections with family members and others. Las quiero mucho, Su papi

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb