Flight and first sight La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
March 9th 2006
Published: May 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Bolivia isn't actually all that hard. We had a big scare that our backpacks might not make it because they were insisting at the gate that we couldn´t bring them on, while we watched half a plane full of people drag on bags 34 times their size. Finally, because the woman finally thought through the fact that taking them now, and trying to send them on through to La Paz was not at all likely to happen, we got a break. She agreed to gate check them. And fortunately when we arrived in Miami they were there, safe n sound. And, the La Paz flight had no problem with them coming aboard.

The Miami- La Paz portion of the flight was an interesting group of people. 21 youngsters from Montana were on with us. They had the look of fresh faced religious zealotry, and clearly had a)never been on a flight before today, b)never been out of Montana before today, and c)had no idea what they were in for. Their leader, a nice enough guy, also had no idea, and it was considered a stunning success when they all filled out their customs forms. I was thoroughly amused by them (Mark and I were sitting in the middle of the group). Mark was not thrilled. But, to give him credit, the weirdest of the group was sitting right beside him. Anyhow, their missionary goals I hope had a good purpose, and I really hope they get as much from this process as they plan to give, and open their minds to something other than red type politics and cornfedness. Sorry, I can´t help it. They oozed complete worldly un-education. Lets hope that saying is true, that Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.

Anyhow, enough of that. Easy peasy flight, minus the one armed guy behind me with the sick kid getting up every 10 minutes to run to the loo. Poor things. But it didn't make for a good sleep. I was still in a great mood getting off the plane, looking for my coca tea. The 'getting out of the airport process' here took all of 3 minutes. And things, all things, are ridiculously cheap.

We are staying at the Hostel Rosario, which is more of a Hostel cum hotel..individual rooms, but the whole lounge, internet cafe (free!) and right at the top of the witches market, with the dead baby lama fetuses. Our little room was spick and span, but sparse. Still very nice. We immediately passed out for a 4 hour nap (it was still only 7 am).

So far the rest of our day was filled up with wandering around the compact center of the city. Its very photogenic. (minus the dead llamas). And really, given the vast wealth difference between us and them, we were left completely alone. By the way..it was like 90 degrees in the sun. We heard 40 at night 65 during the day. Total crap. If you are coming here, bring stuff for all seasons. The weather channel also said it was going to rain, but their are only the slightest of puffy clouds on the horizon. So either, the weather service here is really bad, or we just experienced the warmest day La Paz has ever had.

We are going out for dinner and drinks tonight. Maybe just 'drink'. I'm pretty lightheaded. We are hanging out in the city most of tomorrow too, so if this turns out to be a bad plan, and drink becomes drinks it won´t be the end of the world.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb