Goodbye La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KingfisherKingfisherKingfisher

Sucking nectar
Early start for a fantastic great value city tour around La Paz. First we stopped off for more views of La Paz, the canyon wall and rocky outcrop. Then we visited the Valley of the Moon, where a local was playing the panpipes and another playing a guitar beautifully as we wandered around the site. We also saw a very sweet humming bird, sipping nectar from the foliage. Apparently Vizcachas are abundant in the area too, but none visible today. We saw the grand Devil's Molar rock formation, a football pitch and the highest golf course, everything is the highest around here! The canyon was beautiful, containing volcanic and clay formations in strange shapes, with a moon formation attractiveness covered with lots of cacti. A very peaceful place.

Then we continued our tour around the posh suburbs, some huge mansions with towering walls guarding their properties, governmental buildings and a Catholic university. The upper-class live further down the canyon, as they receive a more pleasant climate, better for growing plants etc, more hospitable and the altitude is lower. Such a contrast to the main square where all the hustle and bustle takes place, and poverty is rife with shanty buildings
Valley of the MoonValley of the MoonValley of the Moon

Bizarre Landscape
and people scrambling in the bins for food.

On our way we saw a beautiful picnic area, then on to the watch tower for 360 degree views of the city landscape, where we saw a huge football stadium, again the highest! Then we had a quick tour around the gold museum, again the condor, snake and puma playing an important role within the various replica on display, also some Inca articles on display. The courtyard was made from llama bone - yuck!

Just outside there was a quaint narrow cobbled street, and beautiful houses with balconies, the only road of its' kind within the city. Then we had a look around another square and the cathedral where a service had just taken place. Next door was a governmental building with guards standing on watch. The square was very busy, with shoe shiners, and lots of ladies carrying their blankets on their backs. The tour ended at the witches' market, where we spent the afternoon bargaining for more souvenirs, lots of intricate and detailed crafts on display. We also visited the cathedral for some delicious coffee and chocolate cake!

In the evening we joined two other members of the group (Fran and Josie), and visited a colonial style restaurant, with beautifully carved wood and a great value set menu and pizzas on offer. As it turned out everyone from the tour group had ended up at the same restaurant by coincidence, some just visiting for the extensive dessert menu! Then we said our goodbyes to the old members of the group, as they were departing to go their own ways!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

La Paz - Views from HotelLa Paz - Views from Hotel
La Paz - Views from Hotel

Snowy Mt Illamani in the background
La Paz CathedralLa Paz Cathedral
La Paz Cathedral

Bustling square
Market StallMarket Stall
Market Stall

Witches Market - La Paz


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 83; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb