Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 92 - Day 103 (28/03/07 - 09/04/07)

Our Bolivian adventure began as we crossed Lake Titikaka, from the Peruvian side to the Bolivian side, a 20 min boat ride for the passangers and a rather home-made raft ride for the bus. The first place we came across was a little lake-side town of Copacabana (although a charming town it is without the attractions of its more famous namesake in Brazil - rather it is named in honour of its virgin stature of Copacabana held in the towns cathedral). Having been impressed by the Peruvianside of Lake Titikaka, although the Bolivian side was also nice, it was just one big blue lake to us now....a few hours was enough!

La Paz



The world´s highest city was our next destination - La Paz - more than 3,500 m above sea level, few cities have a setting as spectacular as La Paz.La Paz is Bolivia´s capital in all but name (technically the capital is Sucre, in the south-east of Bolivia, we didn´t hear of anyone going there or anything much to see). The city is built in a hollow between the ice bound peaks of Mount Illimani,
Lake Titikaka - the Bolivian sideLake Titikaka - the Bolivian sideLake Titikaka - the Bolivian side

Very similar to the Peruvian side
on all sides the steep slopes of the valley are covered by the ramshakled homes of the cities poorest inhabitants which cling dangerously to the edge of the mountainside. In the bottom, the cluster of tightly packed church spires, office blocks and market stalls form the centre of most activity, which goes about its business in a chaotic and hectic manner.

Amongst the craziness that is La Paz life, exists the "Witches Market", a traditional market place where the old peruvian ladies provide potions and medicines for the superstitious and curious. We happened to live in a hotel here in the middle of the witches markets, and we have to say it was a smelly experience. The main steets fell on a very steep v-shaped valley, at these altitudes, to walk up any part of the hill was unbelievably tiring, and desoite our familiarity with altitude now, we were often worn out walking around in La Paz. One could purchase magic potions inc those for luck in love, in fortune, in air-flight, in health and in sex. There were paccumammas, wierd figurines which were both male and female, as well as many stuffed animals and endangered animal furs (inc
How our bus didn´t sink we don´t know!How our bus didn´t sink we don´t know!How our bus didn´t sink we don´t know!

Crossing Lake Titikaka from Peru to Bolivia, an interesting ride!
puma, jaguar etc), but the most wierd and incomprehensible was the llama foetueses....the peruvian people sacrifce pregnant llamas, and after extracting and drying the foetus, they bury or burn the llama foetus in front of a new house, or with in the wall cavaties, so as to warn off bad spirits or omens. Thankfully we didn´t witness this ritual in person, though we met travellers who had, but the sight of the llama foetuses on sale in the market was enough insight and smell for us!

The World´s Most Dangerous Road



Now call us fools or call us brave, one thing we had to do in our short time in Bolivia (or so it seemed at the time) was to attempt to mountain bike ride down the world´s most dangerous road. The road from La Paz to Corioca is recognised worldwide as offically being "the world´s most dangerous road", this classification owes to the number of people who have died per year whilst travelling along this piece of roadway....so....an american tour agency "Gravity" (as well as many other companies) cashed in on this mortality increasing road and created an adreniline-fuelled sport - a 4hour downhill mountain bike ride on gravel on a narrow and winding path, often met by large truck and vehicules....why oh why i don´t know...but people feel obliged to try it out. At this point it´s worth noting that of all the companies offering mountain bike rides down this ridiculous road, "Gravity" is the only one which has had NO mortalities within its 17year history (or so they told us) and so we felt in relative safe hands! The particular Saturday that we decided to engage in this activity, at the early hour of 8am, the beginning of the road, some 4,700 m - was completely and unusually for this time of year snowfilled and getting thicker, thus we were not able to commence the downhill plunge until a few kilometres further downhill, at which point it was pouring with icy cold sleet-type rain - not pleasant biking conditions.

Not being experienced mountain bikers, we were unfamiliar with the type of trerrian we were dealing with - gravel - and big chunks of it at times, making the ride all that more difficult and unnerving. This however did not stop some of us (C) challenging himself and the road by accelerating to speed, getting out of control, and pushing the brakes too hard too fast resulting in 4,000 m high mountain top acrobatic displays - head-over-handlebars, not once but twice.....most unnerving to onlookers, and thankfully resulted in him being more cautious and staying to the back of the group, going a little slower with Kate!

The views were incredible though, not that we had much chance or nerve to look, but every nowand again, when you caught sight of the landscape around us you were reminded of the reality of riding on this road by the crosses for those who had lost their lives over the years. Every 200m or so there was another cross, including one for an Israeli guy who had gone over the edge only a month earlier, and another for a Canadian who simply disappeared a month before (these are just a few of the tourists, neverminding the hundreds of locals each year).

Half way down, we heard a loud rumble not too far ahead of us, turing a corner we were witnesses to a huge part of the mountain collapsing right on the road in front of us. Part of our group had just crossed the path, and we were about to cross it when it happened, not good for our nerves! Quickly climbing over the rubble, bikes in hand, we hoped that there was no more mountain to follow, we were able to carry on - the bus however which was following us with emergency and first-aid kits in, had to back up the whole 2 hour way back - the road was completely out of use for vehiclules now - not good news if someone was to break a leg!

I (K) personally did not enjoy the first half of the trail, it was much too steep and narrow for my liking, and the 400m drops were too close for comfort...i was freaked and stressed out, feeling weak from using all my strength to hold the brakes on full and avoid falling off, or down! However hours later, at a lower gradients, it was much more enjoyable and i could appreciate the surroundings!

Successfully reaching the bottom, now 1,100 m, the air was more easily breathable, and a huge sense of relief, survival and achievement waved over us! It may sound dramatic...but thats how i felt (K) and we´ve done it,
Took our breath away....literallyTook our breath away....literallyTook our breath away....literally

Trying our hardest to keep to the right, even though our guides stressed we have to stick to our side of the road....thats the left in this case as the cars and trucks have the right to be on the right!scary stuff!
i have to say i´ll never be doing something like that again!!!

The Salt Plains and Bolivian Desert



Though our time in Bolivia was short, one must see was the Solar de Uyuni - The Salt Plain, which was without a doubt the highlight of our trip so far. With little hype or publicity, we were unprepared for what to expect from the 3 day tour we took of this area. We toured around in a maroon 4 by 4 jeep with a cute Bolivian couple as our driver and cook. The first stop was the famously bright white salt plain, which supplies the whole of S.America with its table salt. It was like nothing we´d seen before, where you could not see the distinctions between land and sky it was all so bright white and blue. As you can see from the pics we were very excited by it and had hours of fun trying to manipulate the surroundings to create photo illusions...looked better in our heads though!

The second day, we explored the bolivian desert area, in which the landscape changes completely every half an hour - in a nut shell, we saw
Few memorials to the lost souls on this roadFew memorials to the lost souls on this roadFew memorials to the lost souls on this road

one year more than 360 people died, mainly trucks and buses, thankfully theres a new road being built they can take now
vast differences and transformations in the landscape from the bright white salt plains to sandy desert, to multicoloured mountains, to smoking volcanoes, to snow-capped mountains, to strange rock formations. We stopped off frequently to admire the views including the array of lakes as well. There were lakes like we´´ve never seen lakes before, green lakes, red lakes, white lakes, blue lakes, each reflecting the mountain behind it and surroundings, and inhabited by pink flamingoes.

On the third day, the extremely early wakeup call was less than appreciated but was reconciled when we drove in the pitch dark and freezing temperatures with frozen windows preventing the driver from seeing but not stopping him from driving like Colin McRay up and over the rocky terrain, and saw the bubbling effects of geishers in the moonlight. Shortly after when the sun was just beginning to rise, we had the best ever bath. The steaming natural hot springs were too inviting despite not being able to bear the thought of getting into our swimsuits in the frostbite cold - it was a reward well worth the effort!

The whole experience of touring these less than well know landscapes for a remarkably cheap price, was unbelivable at times. The variation of terrains and natural sites was amazing and unforgettable and most of the time it was like being on the moon!!!


Still way behind on our blogs, we have been busy touring Argentina for a month, and then returning to Brazil we have visited the Pantanal and are currently relaxing for a while in Rio with our adopted family. Next stop is Chile before our time in South America comes to an end. Hope all is well at home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Unfortunately we don´t appear as cool as we thought we wereUnfortunately we don´t appear as cool as we thought we were
Unfortunately we don´t appear as cool as we thought we were

taking it easy after Christians over-the-handle-bar gymnastics earlier!
And then the mountain fell down in front of us!And then the mountain fell down in front of us!
And then the mountain fell down in front of us!

Hearing a loud rumbling around the corner....we rode round to see this....literally part of the mountain had collapsed and could have killed someone!Some stones fell 100m down.
Hungry monkey with a liking for ears and hands!Hungry monkey with a liking for ears and hands!
Hungry monkey with a liking for ears and hands!

Cheeky devil really got stuck in hard!!
Friends for life!!!Friends for life!!!
Friends for life!!!

This monkey at the sanctury was sick, they think she was dying, she took a speciall liking to Kate. Kate was very upset when we had to leave her.
Next you will be shaking it on your chips.... salt!!!Next you will be shaking it on your chips.... salt!!!
Next you will be shaking it on your chips.... salt!!!

Fresh from the ground, these are the guys who do all the hard work, collecting salt
Kate admiring the salt hotelKate admiring the salt hotel
Kate admiring the salt hotel

Made 100% from salt, we even did the lick test and it did not fail
Where land become skyWhere land become sky
Where land become sky

it was impossible to see division between sky and earth


26th May 2007

Ehhh dont want a lama foetus now.....
Hey hey hey. Fantastic pics. Must say that these were best so far... amazing. And i thought that pic when you managed to shrink Kate was fantastic haha. And the beer bottle was cool too. Mum says you must have angels watching you when taking that bike trip in the mountains... scary business!!! God would never done that myself, rather go diving... and that scares me... Ok my dears, hope to spk to you guys b4 you go to Chile. Maybe you can ring me on the computer. Lots of luv Linda and mumXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
26th May 2007

jealous
hey guys you both looking great how do you manage to find out about all these little trips here and there.the photos are great.when is it you coming back or are you going to stay out there for ever.send me an email explaining how things are.take care keep up the good work.send photos more often.
29th May 2007

Incredible
I keep saying it, but it is true!. You make me feel so depressed sat here in Manchester. I keep telling myself you are cold at night, not had a bath for a month and ill from local diet !!, just to console myself......
30th May 2007

Hi guys, great pictures - I love reading your blog (although I'm sat at work now green with envy). I like the sound of that wiches market - not so much the road - scary!! Great veiws though! Enjoy everything - you look like you are!!! Alison ***
30th May 2007

Thailand
Hi Guys, Sounds like your both having a great time, I'm still thinking of meeting you guys out in Thailand. Do you know roughly when you'll be in that area, late October, early November? Cheers, Simon

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb