I is in Bolivia!! Part 1


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
November 8th 2006
Published: November 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone,

Sorry it has been so long yet again! Things were sort of all over the place for a while. Thank you all so much for all of your messages and I’m sorry that I haven’t replied to all individually- but I really appreciate them! Oh yeah, I’m in Bolivia now!! Loads to catch up on since last time, and I promise some pictures soon! I sent my memory card home so hopefully they’ll be busy uploading soon. In the meantime you can see some pictures on Lotte’s webpage www.getjealous.com/lotte and then go to photos.

Well after my partner, Lotte, went to hospital, we decided she needed somewhere decent to relax and get better. We went to Vara Blanca to the other girls, Hannah and Fran. Just chilled out that week really. We made another hospital trip for Lotte, just to make sure that everything was ok. We never really found out what was wrong, but the main thing is that she’s ok now.
We were in regular contact with Project Trust during our week in Vara Blanca and it was decided that the best thing for us to do was to move country! We enjoyed what time we had left with the girls- can’t believe that I won’t see them for a whole year!
We had the most surreal evening there. Some other young people from Vara Blanca came round, and we spent the evening playing card games, and the sorts of games you play at the beginning of a drama lesson! It’s just completely different to the going out and getting drunk that happens at home!!!
That weekend we went to see a play about James Dean directed by our rep, Caroline. It was great and the set, which she designed as well, looked amazing. We had to say bye to Hannah and Fran at the cast party, and started crying in front of loads of people-it was so embarrassing!
For the next week it was just me and Lotte! Project Trust put us up in a really cool hotel in San José. It’s owned by an artist and she decorated each of the rooms herself. Ours was called the ‘Dancing Leaves’ room (www.cincohormigasrojas.com). It was soo good to have hot showers, a hairdryer and cable TV!
On Tuesday morning (8th October), we got up to go back to Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo for the last time. The taxi driver got confused and nearly took us to the airport instead of the bus station- and the charged us for it too! I tried complaining with my limited Spanish but didn’t get too far. Hopefully I'll be better soon though.
We found ourselves a cabina to stay in, bought thankyou gifts for a few people and then made our way back to the shed. When we got back we realised it had been broken into!! The wooden shutters had been ripped open and my mosquito net pulled down so they could get in. They’d gone through all of our stuff but strangely nothing had been taken. Apparently that was because it’s low season, and there are not enough tourists to sell drugs to and so people get burgled. That’s what we were told by someof the locals anyway, but we just take it all with a pinch of salt. We never felt completely safe there anyway, and it made us think that someone must’ve been watching us because they broke in during the week that we were away. Although it could’ve just been paranoia. We packed up everything and made our way back to Puerto Viejo, looking forward to our last night there ever! (Although I hope to go back one day). We showered up, went for dinner in a nice restaurant and then strolled about taking pictures. Later that night we went to Baba Yaga’s for the reggae night-free drinks for ladies too! The night went well on the whole, but of course something had to happen. We heard a loud gunshot, and then some guys came out of the bushes. The guy shot again, this time standing less than three metres away from us! No-one got hurt luckily. With that we decided to end the night and headed back to the cabina.
We spent the next couple of days chillin in San José. On Friday 13th October, we fit in a tour, so we could say we’d done something in Costa Rica. We saw the Poas Volcano, La Paz waterfalls, visited a coffee farm and took a boat trip down the Sarapiqui. It was all a bit rushed but the views were spectacular!
That evening we were beside ourselves with excitement, waiting for Miriam and Keish (Project Trust staff) to arrive! The next couple of days we spent relaxing with them, went over everything that had happened and were briefed on Bolivia. We got taken out for meals too, with lots of cocktails, all on Project Trust!!
On Monday16th October we bought our last bits that we wanted from Costa Rica-mainly food (obviously) and chilli sauce! We made our lasttrip upto Vara Blanca-for real this time! We had to walk from the bus stop to the lodge and got absolutely drenched- probably stepped in unknown amounts of shit on the way! (They have about 30 cows on the farm next to the lodge). Enjoyed a last meal altogether- with Michael Cannon and Caroline too. It was a nice way to end our time in Costa Rica and I knew how much I was gonna miss it, despite looking forward to our next adventure!

I'll write the next part in a separate entry-if I haven’t bored you all to death with this one already!

Pura Vida
Love Jem xxxxxxxxxx



Advertisement



8th November 2006

WOW!!
Little one that sounds fab! OK well maybe i should be calling myself little, hence the fact that I am shorter then you, yet dearly older! lol That sounds like one experience! I'm glad you are making the most of it, the gun shots sound very scary! Life is a wonder, and as my elders keep telling me everything is an experience and not only that Jem but one that is always evolving...life is an experience in itself. Carry on the fab journey and make the most of your year out! Big hugs me xxxx
9th November 2006

So Sorry
Hi Jem, sorry its taken so long for me to send you a message. Looks like things have started to move in the right direction for you (well upto a certain extent). I hear from mum and dad that the gujji-lingo is improving a hell of alot (so well done on that front). I can't believe that its almost been 2 months since you left our beautiful land to go where!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, we're all missing your wit and charm but i'm sure you're doing okay fine. It was only the other day I suggested to Kaxamami that i'm thinking about taking a year out to do what i want to do. Well that thought didn't last too long because she clattered me with a saucepan. But make the most of your time there as you are physically doing something that only some of us can think about - lots of love vijaymama and the rest of the leicester posse xXxXx.
10th November 2006

WOW!!!!!
WOW!!! sounds amaaaaaazing!! gunshots, monkeys, SNAKES!, chocolate cake in a saucepan?! im so proud of u, this is soooo amazing and something that will definetly stay with u forever! u are such an awesome dudette! i mean WOW!! and still u seem so laid back! wish i had the courage to do something like that, its something that everyone dreams about but neva actually does! i look forward to the next message, it wil giv me something interesting to think about besides my heap of law essays! tke care hun, chat soon! xxxx
13th November 2006

Sounds great
Hi Jem, Finally got a chance to catch up on your blog, sounds like you're having one heck of an experience. How's the spanish coming along? Where are you and what have you been up to? Just wanted to say I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear more amazing stories. Enjoy the adventures and keep safe. Love you lots Daksha auntie, Tom uncle, Josh and Bella ( she says hola mi amour)

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb