Island of the Sun


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After waking up very confused we tidy the room, leaving all balloons and alot of rum, and pay for the room, the manager looks predictably unimpressed as he must have been up all night concerned about what was going on.

We get some breakfast and head down to the port where we have tickets to go to Isle de Sol, an island an hour and half from Copacobana. The boat journey is hot and cramped and with none of us feeling our best we are glad to see the end, the Swedish girls knitt mainly, they do that alot.

After arriving at the island we get hustled into accepting some hilltop accomodation, from one of the many identical workers waiting for the boats arrival, and make our way up the steep hil with full back pack and day sack, its hard work and brings back memories of the Inca Trail. The views however are amazing the blues of the lake and the mountains which dominate the skyline are breathtaking and when we finally get to our tiny room perchered on the hill tope the view was worth every step.

The room has 3 beds and the view out the window rivals anything so far. We head down the hill to a tiny Pizzeria, where again the views are amazing and fill the hour wait while the one worker makes the base and toppings, great pizza.

We gather in our room for the night, after a few hours of darkness the first lightning bolt stikes te tranquil waters of the lake, these then became very freqeunt as rained lashed down onto the roof of our cell. Much to the annoyance of the knitting girls we kill the lights and watch the lightning storm roll to and from across the lake. After some fail attempts at ghost stories, no Matt "The grey lady of Bishops Stortford" isnt scary, and some other games we call it a day.

We wake up to rain, yes rain on the island of the sun, we had agreed to a 8km hike across the mountain with a guide (aka the same boy who had got us to the accomodation) but soon after we start the rain clears and the sun shines down.

After a beautiful walk we rest in the port and await our boat home, where a small kick about between tom and matt soon has every small child (dressed as adults) involved. The boat back tot Copa was one of my favourites so far, we sat on top of the boat as the sun shone and we drifted back to shore. Easy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb