Coroico, tranquility with sand flies and fire crackers.


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

where to go and thaw the bones after a number of weeks at altitude ?
coroico mis amigos, coroico.
touted as the "bolivian eden" it was too good to resist and too good to be true.
after swatting the remaining sand flies at the base of the mountain bike ride (world´s most dangerous road) and sheading the thermals, fleeces, scarves, alpacca hats, gloves and rain proofs, it was time to lug the bags up to our rooms and change into swim wear.
yes, sweet swim wear.
coroico is nestled high in the mountains under la paz and a peaceful little village with spectacular views of the steep, steep mountains and the clouds that find it hard to make their way, all the way to the top.
it also has a lot of steps.
you climb steps to your room, steps to the pool, steps to the restaurant, steps back from town, steps while in town and steps pretty much wherever you go.
it seems that that old adage of what goes up must come down and coroico is testament to that with all its steps.
so after all the steps and settled nicely by the pool we reclined, bathed in the glorious warmth of the sun and drank beer.
it was nice to be warm again.
really nice.
when you are onto a good thing, stick to it, so this was a routine that would be repeated throughout our stay in coroico only to be interupted by the quest for food and wine.
the french restaurant was a nice choice and we finally found a good coffee on our last day.
you´d think it would be easier to find a decent coffee in a coffee growing nation such as bolivia ...
we also introduced canadian jen to her first horse riding experience.
cowboy rene with his hat in the air, stirrups a-blaze and hot seat took the lead and showed us how it was done.
with cowgirl confidence, it wasn´t long before canadian was enjoying herself as well.
everyone loves horse riding ... just check out the pictures!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb