A weekend away...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
August 27th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've just come back from a weekend at Lake Titicaca - at 3812m its the world's highest commerically navigable lake in the world and is on the border of Peru and Bolivia. It took a 3 hour drive from La Paz, including crossing the lake on a barge (as shown in the photo). From Copacabana (a town on the lake) we hiked for 4 1/2 hours along the coast and passed many pigs, some cows, sheep, llamas, and donkeys. Donkeys are definitely my favourite... i want to have my own one! They are cute. James thinks they have overproportioned heads and stumpy legs... but thats what makes them so cute! During our hike we had awesome views over the lake and of Isla del Sol (the lake's largest island). When we got to the last village on our hike we hired a rowboat (and rower) to cross over to this island. Three-quarters of the way across the rower told us that the $8 we had paid was enough for us to be dropped off at the southern point of the island. So just when we thought our hike had finished we ended up walking for another half hour! We met some of the other teachers (who James works with) on the island and stayed in a hostel with spectular views (but with very cold showers!). We watched an amazing sunset over Peru and ate lots of trout. The terrain is very dry around the lake, which is kind of strange considering there is so much water to be found.... Until we arrived we didn't realise how much we missed green! Its amazing how relaxing green grass, plants and trees are. And now we're back in dry La Paz (also very dry)! I think our next weekend away will be to a lower elevation. But in the meantime, back to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb