Titicacacacacaca


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a 3 hour bus trip from La Paz we arrived at Copacabana on the banks of Lago titicaca, a cute little town nested between two hills. After the hustle and bustle of La Paz this felt like just what we needed. Got a bargain hotel, The Dalwirey, for BS50, albeit only half built!

Took a ´discovery´walk around the area and encountered pigs, llamas, alpacas, horses, donkeys, sheep, chickens, vicious guard turkeys and a couple of peeps. Stretched our legs a little further down the road the next day and almost made it to Yampupata before we bumped into some bloke who offered to sail us over to Isla del Sol. After about 10 minutes of bailing out the boat we were off. Isla del Sol was picturesque, no cars, just paths and locals going about their lives, some sort of fiesta was taking place at the church, muchas cerveca and band music. Perfect. Unfortunately we had to head back to Copacabana on the boat and didn´t get chance to party.

Dodgy botties stopped further adventures but we still managed to get over to Horca del Inca which is a scrambly hill on one side of Copa which was a place used by the Incas as an observatory. Also climbed up Cerro Calverrho on the other side of Copa, well worth the effort for the stunning sunsets over the lake. it´s more like a sea than a lake given it´s size, and stunningly blue.

Ps. the trucha (trout) was top notch nosh!

Next stop Peru and Puno on a short bus ride. Puno was bigger, uglier (harsh we know) and didn´t really offer us anything new, although we were still under the weather which may have affected our feelings. Only stayed 2 nights before deciding to head to a warmer climate. Lake Titicaca is up around 3,810m which means it´s blooming cold at night!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb