Day 51 - First Glimpse of Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we headed off in search of Parque Mirador Laikakota for views across the city. Time didn't allow for this though, and we took a relaxing walk down the prado.. or so we thought. On our way back up the hill we were met by protests coming in both directions! Protesting is apparently a favourite past-time of Bolivians, and we have definitely seen this here and across South America. One of the protests was formed by a group of indigenous women which did however provide a great opportunity for photos. Almost back at the hostel we bumped into Ishii from our Kumuka tour in the street. He was either unsure at first who we were or why we were still in South America. Very random!

On our bus journey to Copacabana we had to stop at San Pablo de Tiquina to disembark and catch a mini boat across Lago de Huynaynarka while our bus caught its own barge across. Apparently with all of us on it the weight would have been too much and sinking a potential. No wonder we spotted one of the boats was called Titanic! We arrived in Copacabana without a reservation for the night, but the place is very tourist ready and we were approached by scores of individuals pushing their accommodation. We resisted the cheaper but slightly more out of town places and headed to Hotel Ambassador near one of the plazas. While cheap the place was a little bizarre, complete with fake flowers, black and white TV wit one channel and no tuning and touch activated chintsy lamp.

We quickly rushed round the tour agencies and booked transport to Isla del Sol for the following morning. We spend the rest of the evening admiring views of Lake Titicaca and eating delicious trout, farmed in the lake, at Playa Azul, a restaurant complete with clay fire and reed boat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb