Leaving the comfort zone


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My last day in sucre, and although sad I am excited. It is el dia de la madre today, because in 1812 or something the mothers rose up when their men had been killed and fought off the spanish. go madres! I woke up this morning at 7 (to set the scene i have been ill for 2 days, and hadnt eaten in 48 hours, because was too scared of the horror!), was forced out of bed by my host family, taken to the grandmothers house (who is a tiny bolivian woman, always laughing, loves to be the centre of everything, loves to have the 4 generations of her family around her), and was faced with so much pink food my stomach turned. Plates full of biscuits, icecream cake, cream, some horrid lurid pink angel delight type thing. mmmmm, muy rico! after forcing that down (im complaining, it was very nice to be included, and they are all so nice), i have escaped for a few hours for my stomach to settle, then have to go back in...oh dear...half an hour...for a huge, long lunch of some indescribable meat, and oh, guess what, a million different types of potatoes! with aunts, uncles, children, mothers, grandparents, cousins, god knows who else. I am looking forward to some independance again. but it is a little scary. Sucre lulls you into a false sense of security. It is a little gem, hidden in the heart of south america, and you tend to forget where you are. you walk around with no question about safety, because there seems to be no (or very very little) crime. it is truly amazing. but methinks la paz might be a shock. im preparing myself.
anyway, thats it. must go. potatoes to eat.
p.s. i saw the president on friday. was very exciting.
p.p.s. perhaps even more exciting, i saw spiderman 3 last night. great when the film cuts out half way through, plunging the cinema in total darkness, and everyone starts screaming. for 5 mins. screaming. wow. i love going to the cinema in different countries. its always a totally different experience. anyone whose seen it, verdicts?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.1kb