From the freezer, straight into the frying pan.... Rurrenabaque


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Madidi
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

19/11-23/11/07
Rurrenabque - Pampas Tour

We had two choices on how to get to Rurrenabaque. An 18 hour bus ride (thats just one-way) across, muddy roads and mountainous terrain, or a 40 minute flight with Plummet Airways (aka Amazonas Airways).

We òpted for the flight as a time saver so once again in the space of two days, we put our lives in the hands of two Bolivian (trained???) pilots to get us there. To add to the flight of fun there was plenty of turbulence and everyone clapped once we had landed in the grass paddock they like to call the runway (we survived! hoorah!).

We stepped off the plane to heat and humidity unimaginable and the only thing I could think of was where is the local swimming pool.

We found the pool (hoorah!) and along with it travellers Sam and Jinx from Inca Trail (& LBHF) and Charlie and Steve, two other kiwis.

Our pampas tour started the next day where we jumped in a jeep for 3.5 hours before switching to a boat along the River Beni. Within seconds, we were surrounded by alligators, turtles, pink dolphins and heaps of birds. As the mossys started biting we started snapping shots at all the awesome scenery before getting to camp minutes before the heavens opened up and torrential rain fell for several hours. Camp was pretty basic. A shower was really pointless as you would only get sweaty 30 seconds later and you would have to reapply insect repellent to ward off the mossys. They get you through your clothes up here!

The next morning we went in search of Anaconda amongst the pampas but had no luck finding one. In a way, kind of glad we didn´t as other groups we heard who did find one, 3 groups merged to all have there photo taken with the snake round there neck. The poor thing would of been so traumatised by the end of it, it probably wouldn´t of survived. Not to mention people touching it having had 28% deet all over there hands. Not cool.

So no snake for us, we headed for a swim in the alligator, piranha infested waters to swim with the pink dolphins. (Once again, not one of the smartest things I´ve done) They were definitely there but it was no Flipper moment of being towed
Jo on the road to nowhere...Jo on the road to nowhere...Jo on the road to nowhere...

Rurrenabaque - Pampas Tour
around and the dolphins doing flips in the air. As for the alligators and piranhas.... well they were there too but we had an understanding.

Our final day up the River Beni, we headed upstream to do some Piranha fishing! No rod, just a stick with a line tied to it with a hook and piece of meat on the end. Very technical. I was very excited to have caught 5 big ones! Nah, they were tiny but I put all but one back being the good kiwi I am. They´ve got a healthy bunch of teeth on them and they knew how to pick the meat off the hook without getting caught the cheeky sods.

Grilled piranha for lunch (tasty) before heading back to Rurrenabaque

Back at Santa Ana Hostel in Rurrenabaque, its the first time I have ever enjoyed a cold shower. It was heaven!!!!

After some amazing cocktails at the Moskito Bar (iced strawberry daiquiris for 1 quid), the next day we were back on Plummet Airways bound for La Paz.

As you see from me writing, we survived to tell the story. Otherwise, we would still be trundling along on a
Kiwi & local boyKiwi & local boyKiwi & local boy

We had to give this kid a baby kiwi just so we could get kiwi back!
bus somewhere in the mountains.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Danger danger!Danger danger!
Danger danger!

Rurrenabaque - Pampas Tour
AlligatorAlligator
Alligator

River Beni
Yellow monkeysYellow monkeys
Yellow monkeys

River Beni
Paul @ CampPaul @ Camp
Paul @ Camp

River Beni
Piranha fishingPiranha fishing
Piranha fishing

River Beni
TurtlesTurtles
Turtles

River Beni
More turtlesMore turtles
More turtles

River Beni


Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb