Ushuaia- The end of the world (Tierra del Fuego)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
December 14th 2012
Published: January 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The lead party of one, Angie arrived in the quaint city of Ushuaia Argentina, the southern most city in the world. A great place with one main street filled with shops and resturaunts. A reconnaissance mission for Angie. She sure gets it tough.

She managed to talk her way into an upgrade for the cruise from a triple share to a double share with Francine. The expedition company was very accommodating.

Second half of the entourage, Francine arrived at 1.30pm and we began to explore the little shops around town and lunch. At 6.30pm we had a tour group meeting advising us of all the info we needed to get us to the boat the next afternoon.

The hotel has a spa. Massage 45 mins with hot stones. We could barely make it back to the room to fall into our beds and straight to sleep as the travelling had been long and tiring. 27000km for Francine

Up early the next morning and we hit a few more shops for post cards and souveniers. Next we take a taxi up into the mountains above and behind the town to the area of the glacier. The ski lift only takes you part of the way up the mountain. Well nobody told us we had to hike the rest of the way. But the intrepid travellers that we are we proceeded on a pretty ardous hike up the mountain to get closer to the glacier. The views were fantastic not only of the glacier but the bay below. The mountian on the other side of the bay are in Chile. Just as we reached the bottom of the car park it started to sprinkle rain and a bit windy. Great timing.

Ushuaia is a seafood town, very popular is King Krab (that is how it is spelt in the restaurant). We looked for the seafood cafe that others were raving about (Cichhos) and had a late lunch. Angie had the blackened hake. A very mild white fish that was delicious. Francine, King Krab and octopus stew. So so tender, even though the tenticle and suckers kept looking at Angie. Angie tried the crab but not the octopus!!

Back to the hotel to get our gear and off to board the Sea Adventurer and begin our journey to the bottom of the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Look out for the crevice!! too late.Look out for the crevice!! too late.
Look out for the crevice!! too late.

Whew! that was close, Frangie.


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb