Northern Chile to Iguazu falls via Santiago and Rio


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
September 24th 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We´ve covered quite some ground since our last entry! Leaving San Pedro, we picked up a car and braved the panamerica to visit some coastal national parks in Chile. The scenery was good, but the weather wasn´t quite what it has been, so the views were a bit on the cloudy side. We visited the Parque National Pan de Azucar, full of wildlife and practically no other visitors and we camped on a very deserted beach. We then went further down the coast to Bahia Inglesa - the weather improved and the beach was beautiful. There were celebrations going on in most of the small towns to mark Chilean Independence day. We then spent 2 nights in Santiago - despite what the guidebooks say, we liked it, but didn´t see it in full swing as everything was shut still for Independence day. We did however stumble across the parliament and see a complete procession of the government, including Chile´s president!

We then flew to Rio for a 2 night speedy tour. We wanted to spend much longer there but we couldn´t get the flights right. Nevertheless, we we had a fantastic time. The city is stunning and the beaches in the middle of it are a real treat - the atmosphere was great and full of fun. Our only day there was a little cloudy, but nonetheless the views from both the christ the redeemer statue (much smaller than I thought it would be, even though it is huge!) and the sugar loaf were brilliant. It is by far the best city we have been to so far, but had a price tag to match!

3 planes in as many days took us to Iguazu falls and on to Argentina. We spent yesterday looking at the falls from the Argentinian side. There are so many parts to the falls - some are very pretty, set in the green rainforest, but the main horseshoe is absolutely spectacular. The volume of water is almost frightening and makes Niagara look like a man made trickle! We are going to look at them from Brazil tomorrow, before heading on for a week in Argentina where Andy will get another year older.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sugar loaf, rio de janeiroSugar loaf, rio de janeiro
Sugar loaf, rio de janeiro

view from the corcovado, christ the redeemer
Rio by sunsetRio by sunset
Rio by sunset

From the Sugarloaf, over the city to Christ the Redeemer
Iguazu fallsIguazu falls
Iguazu falls

This is part of the horse shoe - the volume of water was incredible


9th December 2007

What an adventure so far
Wow I have been reading your journal entries and following the adventures you both have experienced so far on your world trip, fantastic. I have been to many parts of Asia and I'm defiantly going to have to add South America to my list of places I wish to visit. Your photos are wonderful and your descriptions of different places and how you got there great and very informative. Have a great journey and enjoy the rest of your trip, I look forward to your next adventure. PS: If you need any travel tips about Asia I may be able to help. Have fun.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb