Footsteps on a Forest Floor


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
February 5th 2015
Published: February 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Footsteps on a Forest Floor.



“To the south we had a scene of savage magnificence, well becoming Tierra del Fuego. There was a degree of mysterious grandeur in mountain behind mountain, with the deep intervening valleys, all covered by one thick, dusky mass of forest. The atmosphere, likewise, in this climate, where gale succeeds gale, with rain hail and sleet, seems blacker than anywhere else. In the Strait of Magellan, looking due southward from Port Famine, the distant channels between mountains appeared from their gloominess to lead beyond the confines of this world”

Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle, December 17th 1832.



The area surrounding Ushuaia is stunning! I had a week between contracts so off I hiked into the vast emptiness that is only a few minutes from town. I spent a full day in the Tierra del Fuego National Park hiking along the Beagle Channel, but one of the highlights for me was meeting up with Jack. Jack is a Dutchman who lives in Ushuaia, we crossed paths in Churchill during the autumn of 2014 and exchanged emails. We kept in touch and met up again at the bottom of the world. He loves getting out onto the trails, so we hiked a fair bit in the area and explored some really pretty countryside and climbed a couple of peaks, all within a few miles of town.

The wild smell of leaves and flowers, the singing of songbirds in the early morning, the gentle flow of streams trickling over the beach, and the lush green glow of mosses on the forest floor.



Green is a beautiful colour and I needed a tree fix…

I craved hiking barefoot on the rocks along the shore!

Cold water and sand on my feet felt wonderful!

I walked on twig-fall for a while…

I jumped and splashed in the mud.

Then I went back to Antarctica on the Sea Spirit…



D.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



16th February 2015
The Summit of Cortez

Ushuaia
King of the Mountain
18th February 2015

Wow!!!
Absolutely stunning photography !!!!!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.1179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb