Just a quickie


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
April 18th 2008
Published: April 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi there!

Today we went for a 4 hour walk up to the top of a chairlift 7km from town and back. We couldn´t quite make it to the Martial glaciar as the snow was too thick. this really is an amzing place, a small town surrounded by mountain peaks that doubles as a ski resort in winter. I still can´t get over how far south we´ve come! We had an amzing free hot chocolate at a spa resort and got a free map (from our boat trip to the light house at the end of the world yesterday. Gutted we couldn´t make it down to Puerto Williams, the lowest town in the world (2500 pop) as there lives the only true blood native Yamana, an 80 year old woman. these people do not wear clothes at all and transport themselves in canoes made from bark and cover themselves in seal fat for warmth and water proofing. Darwin on his HMS Beagle voyage thought at first them to be the missing link!

On the walk back to town we were escorted all the way by a Labrador called Balto and had a few empanadas and a ham roll for lunch. then we chilled as the weather cooled and I read my book (my 9th in 9 weeks) - John Steinbeck´s My travels with Charley - a journey to discover America. Very interesting and well written from the Of Mice and Men author.
Gonna go back to the Irish pub tonight after dinner to sample their fine ruby ale and hopefully see orkman Derek again. Tomorrow we fly to Rio Gallegos (Galician´s river) the capital of Sanata Cruz province. Ciao chiccos x Tom

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb