It´s not the end of the world...um, actually it is!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
April 17th 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola todos! Thurs 17th.

In Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego (Land of Fire Island) on the southern archipelago tip of Patagonia. Due South 700km is Antarctica and boy I want to come back one day and do that little beauty although it only runs Nov - March and is like $ 4000 for 12 days (with 4 days pure boat travel). I forgot to ask why they haven´t built an aisport there yet or maybe that is a stupid question as it would probabl melt away. 70% of world´s water comes from there, if it all melted (about 50 UK´s does every year in summer and then re-freezes in winter) the oceans would rise by 65 metres! Ouch!

ushuaia is a city f 50,000 people and tax-free, strangely looking like a Scottish port town or something from an Alan Warner novel. Today we sailed in the Beagle channel and to the lighthouse de fin del mundo (at the end of the world). Yesterday we went to the prison and maritime museum, and then I ate a $10 all you can eat BBQ steak buffet, which was incredible. Wish I had had the camera! Then not that incredibly found an Irish pub and a Cork native named Derek and drank with him until 2am, when we crawled into bed. Tomorrow we are going to do a 5 hour walk up to and back to Martial glaciar as the chairlift has stopped working for low season. Then after lunch we will hit another museum about Darwin and the Yamana native people. Saturday we fly 1 hour north to Rio Gallegas back in Santa Cruz province, a capital city of 95,000 people. We have 2 days there and then we will be in the relative warmth of Buenos Aires, where I plan to go to a Boca game, eat steak and shave my head ready for some sunny weather, although it is meant to be raining there at the moment! We´ll see. Ciao!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb