Day 18


Advertisement
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had read that one of the “must do” things in this part of the world was to see the glacier Perito Moreno. So we headed off early in the morning.

There’s three activities that you can do in regards to see the glacier, a boat trip, a walk around the viewing platform and glacier trekking. The glacier trekking, while it sounded fantastic, was too expensive so we stuck to the boat trip and the viewing platform, and had a thoroughly enjoyable time, though somewhat cold. Again, besides packing one lot of light thermals we didn’t have clothing that was appropriate for cold weather. Oh well, no ones perfect.

Back to the glacier, if you are in this part of the world I highly recommend going to see it. It measures 30km long, 5km wide and 60m high. What makes it even more spectacular is that the glacier moves 2m each day meaning you can hear the ice cracking, which sounds like thunder. We were also lucky enough to see huge chunks of ice, some as large as small houses, fall off and crash into the lake. No photos or video can quite capture the feeling that comes over you as you hear the deafening thunder crack and then view the ice plummeting to the water and watch the water spray upwards in a huge fountain.

Afterwards it was back to El Calafate for dinner and an early night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb