Sleepwalking through 4 border crossings


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

El Calafate


After getting on our bus at 5am, all 10 of us fell sound asleep! In Argentina there are like very few choices of main roads to take, and a main road consists of like gravel road and there is no scenery its just nothing everywhere for like 14 hours! So good to have a night bus and sleep. However the route to El Calafate means we have to go into Chile and so we were all wakened up and marched off the bus in order to get our passports stamped by border control departing Argentina and then 20 mins late the passport control, for arriving in Chile. Why do passport control people all look so scary!!! Nikki even got in trouble from them and was told to wake up!!!! After the dogs have a good sniff aournd the bus luggage we are off to sleep again! So after going through 4 border crossing the only positive thing to come out of it was of course the good old stamps on the passport. Might even beat Hannigan soon, however I doubt even Hannnigan has had so many stamps in a few hours!!!!

We arrive in El Calafate at 1.30 am and go straight to sleep. The next day we hire a car and go and see the Perito Moreno Glacier. It was absolutely amazing. One of the most amazing things about it was the noises it makes, like a mini volcano erupting (really really loud) and then massive pieces of ice fall from the glacier into the water, the size of the glacier is 5k wide and 12 k long! It sounds really boring but we spent like 3 hours just looking at it from the different viewpoints, u are not allowed to close as 200 people have died from the ice falling and hitting them over the last 20 years!!!! The reason we travelled so south was for the glacier and it was sooo worth it.

The dogs here as I said before are everwhere and for some weird reason they chase the cars. So me, Nikki driving, Rachel and Jenny are all driving down the main street in this little village and four dogs surround the car and start barking like mad and running with our car. Rachel the vegetarin screams out dont kill the dogs, I shout out dont stop driving Nikki, Jenny (who is in the front with the map) hides behind the map and is just simply screaming, Nikki is screaming and driving slowly and the dogs bark louder and stay chasing us. The local police man and most other locals are laughing at us so much! Then the cars behind us start beeping as we are going 2 slow and after about 5 minutes of this madness we manage to lose the dogs!!!! We all joke and convince every one that this is a sign of rabies (which is total rubbish of course) and so the fear of the dogs continues!!! Very very funny!!!

We get over this by cooking loads food and drinking loads wine with all of our 9 mates and getting very drunk and making up pretent jobs that we will tell other backpackers. Mines is a palm reader however this changes often! Next day bus departs at 8.30 am!

Advertisement



5th May 2006

Passport Stamps
Hey Loser #1 - you'll never beat me on the passport stamps. I filled a 10 year passport in 5 years and had to buy a new one cause there was no space left for new stamps. Lovin the banter keep it coming and say hi to Nikki from me and Y.
5th May 2006

Stamps
I am the stamp master - filled a passport in 5 years. V jealous of reports.
8th May 2006

you are all LOSERS!!!
if you have nothing better to do than to collect passport stamps!!!
12th May 2006

Boo Hoo
I want more passport stamps, Girls i am loving the blogs, i'm reading them all today as i haven't had a chance in ages! I'm loving them and you cannot imagine anyone more jealous than me at this moment. Love love love the updates so i've gotta get back to reading!
15th May 2006

me and my mates being losers
sheena maclean whoever u r, correct me and most of my mates are total losers and I can absolutely confirm that the mate in question has in fact for the last 3 years made it into my top 5 list of loser mates. Life life as a loser and get over the passport stamps. I was lead to believe that witches in fact dont get any stamps when crossing borders and so this has led me 2 the conclusion that u r a jealous witch!!!

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb