My dream come true!


Advertisement
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El Calafate - the town where carrier bags are banned! Adds an extra challenge to carrying your shopping home!!

From here though we went on a full day excursion to the Moreno glacier which I have always wanted to see and it did not disappoint. I was very excited and the tour guide built the tension as we rounded the corner in the coach for our first glimpse of the glacier. First we went on a boat tour which took us along the north face of the glacier. It was freezing and very windy but we got up close to the steep jagged face and saw massive chunks fall off. The glacier is connected to a peninsula of land but has two faces at the side of this into lakes. It is 5km wide, 14km long and then another 16km as it heads southwest, the face is 30-60m high that you can see and another 120m under the water. It is white and blue due to the compression of the ice. After the boat ride we spent a few hours walking along boardwalks near the edge of the peninsula right in front of the glacier. I sat down and watched the glacier for ages, it is so beautiful with a jagged, cracked top and a steep face where every few minutes chunks break off and even a rainbow above it. The sun was out and it was actually very warm which made the glacier look even more stunning! It really is fantastic and I could have stayed there all day mesmorised by the view.

As we have been staying in a hostel here in El Calafate I cook myself some tea and then a few of us go to a nice bar for a few drinks.

The next day we are in El Chalten, a tiny town in the national park. It is very close to Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, some mountains. I spend Friday on a walk with Tasha, Joy and Suzanne with great views of the mountains. I will be fit after this trip with all this walking!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb